Masterpiece
Reaction score
No - he means tip plucking - rather like Acers :) after the shoot has opened

Edit: DJ beat me to it :)

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I believe he was talking about, I do this every year to mine. Bill V. wrote this description of the technique in my beech thread:

A tip, remove each terminal bud now, before they open, as they swell. Then carefully open the other buds, in a few days, and remove the center growth. This will stop elongation, develop small foliage AND you will not need to trim your Beech for the rest of this season. This technique is used for developed bonsai like yours, not trees which still need development.

Please note that you will need to do this several times a day, because they open at different rates, and it may take several days or a week to complete.

http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/beech-wired-and-ready.7047/page-4
This definitely sounds like one bonsai task that forces the grower into a zen like state for the days it is budding. Shows how much we need to appreciate beech bonsai, and their growers! @just.wing.it I hear you brother, walking through majestic beech forests is my medicine for our crazy world!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So I know I misunderstood him, but I don't think I mis-heard him....he did say "I pluck the buds"....
In my own defense...
But thanks everyone, I learn from you daily.

Top Bottom