Beech project - any advices?

BonPiotr

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey,
I have huge inspiration after visit in mountains, so I want to start new project - clump style beech (Fagus Sylvatica). They grow here naturally this way and these beech forests are on UNESCO list šŸ˜. My initial plan is:
- get 5-7 2 year old beech saplings from nursery
- arrange them and clump them together after cutting off tap roots
- put them into air pot filled with akadama/pumice/lava/zeolite mix
- wire them after nearly fusing

Do you see any flaws in this idea? Can I start it now, in October after natural defoliation or should i just wait for early spring, so they can start growing/fusing after repotting? I was also thinking about adding some slightly acidic organic mix (around 10-20%) or kanuma to lower pH, is it necessary or is it just ā€žnice to haveā€ for beeches.

Pic just for inspiration šŸ™‚
8F354EF5-8B6C-417A-8267-FA1B8F76CDF6.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice inspirational picture! Im going to be starting something similar with hornbeams, im just waiting for the leaves to drop so I can see what im doing. theres lots of examples really
more towards trying new things and the creative process.

Funnily enough, I created the Frankenbeam after watching this Peter chan vid:

Last edited:

BonPiotr

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice inspirational picture! Im going to be starting something similar with hornbeams, im just waiting for the leaves to drop so I can see what im doing. theres lots of examples really
more towards trying new things and the creative process.

Funnily enough, I created the Frankenbeam after watching this Peter chan vid:
Sorry for late reply and thanks for your advices :) Actually the first vid is my benchmark for whole technique.

Big thanks for the tip with waiting for leaves droping. I have already ordered 7 beech saplings, some kanuma and big (too big, so i have cut them) pots with little holes :) For now itā€™s 35x35x10 cm, i think it should be fine till spring 2024 :)

I want to try mycorrhiza with that beech saplings after clumping, because of some studies that i have read. What are your thoughts about using it not in connifers, that simply require it to live?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply and thanks for your advices :) Actually the first vid is my benchmark for whole technique.

Big thanks for the tip with waiting for leaves droping. I have already ordered 7 beech saplings, some kanuma and big (too big, so i have cut them) pots with little holes :) For now itā€™s 35x35x10 cm, i think it should be fine till spring 2024 :)

I want to try mycorrhiza with that beech saplings after clumping, because of some studies that i have read. What are your thoughts about using it not in connifers, that simply require it to live?
I have used it in the past but hard to judge the benefits or if it even worked. But ive seen it when repotting trees in the past, a couple of my old hornbeams had traces of it in the rootballs.

BonPiotr

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Then i will try it :)

Iā€™ve read comparison study that even chinese elms benefit greatly from myco :)

Hereā€™s source: https://www.researchgate.net/public...orrhizal_Fungi_and_Rhizobacteria_in_a_Nursery
its definitely not necessary for healthy, vigorous, thriving deciduous, i wouldnt invest too much time into it.
also ive never used kanuma i always thought it was for azaleas. any basic mix on kaizen bonsai will do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom