Beech project

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Here is a project tree that, frankly, I regret buying. At the time I overlooked or minimized a lot of flaws that I am not sure I can overcome. But I am going to make the best of it.

Here is the tree more or less as purchased.

IMG_20190416_182442.jpg

At the time, I think I was enamored with the lower trunk, the bark, and all the pretty, flexible branches. Now all I see is inverse taper, terrible scars, and that stovepipe upper trunk section. Oh, also, this rotted out hole in the trunk at the base of the stovepipe, visible from the backside.

IMG_20190416_182543.jpg

I debated making the hole a feature and carving it. But I really don't like that look, so I am going to attempt to heal it over. I also decided to remove the stovepipe, which I will do in stages.

So, I made a wedge cut into the base of the stovepipe last summer, and this spring I cleaned out all the rotten wood and filled it in with kwikwood epoxy (mixed with ink to match the bark). Here is the result:

IMG_20200415_143951.jpg

I will let it grow freely now in the hopes of getting good callusing. If this operation fails then I will have to consider a trunk chop, which will cause it's own problems, and start over.

Here is how the tree looks today from my chosen front.

IMG_20200415_143857.jpg

And a virtual of where I hope to take it (final height will be approximately 3 feet).

IMG_20200415_143857~2.jpg

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Good plan, IMHO.
It is a long time to a good winter image, but it can look great dressed with foliage in the meantime.
Enjoy.
Thank you. I hope it's worth it!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is a project tree that, frankly, I regret buying. At the time I overlooked or minimized a lot of flaws that I am not sure I can overcome. But I am going to make the best of it.

Here is the tree more or less as purchased.

View attachment 296462

At the time, I think I was enamored with the lower trunk, the bark, and all the pretty, flexible branches. Now all I see is inverse taper, terrible scars, and that stovepipe upper trunk section. Oh, also, this rotted out hole in the trunk at the base of the stovepipe, visible from the backside.

View attachment 296463

I debated making the hole a feature and carving it. But I really don't like that look, so I am going to attempt to heal it over. I also decided to remove the stovepipe, which I will do in stages.

So, I made a wedge cut into the base of the stovepipe last summer, and this spring I cleaned out all the rotten wood and filled it in with kwikwood epoxy (mixed with ink to match the bark). Here is the result:

View attachment 296464

I will let it grow freely now in the hopes of getting good callusing. If this operation fails then I will have to consider a trunk chop, which will cause it's own problems, and start over.

Here is how the tree looks today from my chosen front.

View attachment 296465

And a virtual of where I hope to take it (final height will be approximately 3 feet).

View attachment 296466
It is frustrating when we realize our purchases are not quite what we envisioned. I do think your plan will improve the tree.
The only question I have is regarding the nebari. If the nebari is very good then I would consider a low chop and rebuild the tree to maximize its potential. If the nebari is not so great, than I would limit the time spent redeveloping the tree, unless you are into root grafting as well and wish to start some cuttings.:)

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
It is frustrating when we realize our purchases are not quite what we envisioned. I do think your plan will improve the tree.
The only question I have is regarding the nebari. If the nebari is very good then I would consider a low chop and rebuild the tree to maximize its potential. If the nebari is not so great, than I would limit the time spent redeveloping the tree, unless you are into root grafting as well and wish to start some cuttings.:)
Good point. The nebari is adequate. Here's a photo from last year from the front I've chosen--I've since removed the crossing root on the left and buried it deeper.

IMG_20190416_191118.jpg

Next year I will probably repot and get some better photos.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Hi,
Beech don’t respond well to a low chop with most dying, and cuttings are next to impossible to root.
So I think OP is going about this the right way with slowly.
Charles

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Hi,
Beech don’t respond well to a low chop with most dying, and cuttings are next to impossible to root.
So I think OP is going about this the right way with slowly.
Charles
If I were to chop it, I would retain the bottom several branches. But I think that would emphasize the lack of taper in the lower trunk and I would end up needing to grow it out to be a large tree again. A benefit would be total control over the new growth, but that would be quite a setback and probably not worth it unless all else fails.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Sorry, my post I meant to reply to @River's Edge.
I think you are on the right track. To chop to a lower branch would a be a big setback to all that has been started.
An option which you may not want to consider as too radical is to thread graft a branch a few inches of the base on an angle to get movement, and of course starting over and then you can build the whole tree how you want in a big box or ground?
Charles

Reactions: Meh

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Hi,
I think you are on the right track. To chop to a lower branch would a be a big setback to all that has been started.
An option which you may not want to consider as too radical is to thread graft a branch a few inches of the base on an angle to get movement, and of course starting over and then you can build the whole tree how you want in a big box or ground?
Charles
Thanks, it's a good thought and if I have to chop, it's probably worth the extra effort to get the branches where I want them first.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi,
Charles
Sounds like a valid point to me, the simple solution is to stage the chop, ensuring adequate branches and bud break below before settling on the final chop level. I have not chopped Beech Low without branches below the chop. Actually I rarely chop below a couple of lower branches in any species. I should have stated that.
The thread graft is an excellent option as well. I have used that on shishishigara maple trunks that had no lower branches in the portion I wished to develop.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had luck with this beech. I just wanted the top two layers so I left no branches below the bottom layer. Was prepared to chuck the bottom, but it grew new shoots.
Screenshot_20200613-202908.pngIMG_20200613_201856.jpg

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Got some good growth on this guy last year. I let the top run free, but cut back and partially defoliated the lower branches to begin developing structure and got a really nice response. Lots of backbudding and a strong second flush:

IMG_20200629_091003.jpg

Unfortunately, my plan to heal over the gaping wound hit a brick wall. there was another sizeable dead spot on the opposite side I somehow missed: the bark over it was intact and virtually indistinguishable, and I only discovered it when I went to clean up some branches removed by the grower. This was a bummer to discover, and I don't think it is worth attempting to heal. Instead I will likely begin making plans to carve both wounds.

IMG_20200725_135552.jpg

At any rate, the top grew incredibly well last year, and the transition to the apex improved markedly. Couldn't get it in the frame with a proper backdrop:

PXL_20201110_163721996.jpg

I am putting off repotting another year in the hopes of getting another year of really strong growth. If all goes well I hope to remove both sacrifices this summer.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I'm determined to make a "pretty" beech, but this tree's just not going to be that. I have another much smaller tree I have higher hopes for. I got things started last year by layering it (very successfully) and hope to make good progress again this year.

PXL_20201110_162020929.jpg PXL_20201110_161940927.jpg

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I'm determined to make a "pretty" beech, but this tree's just not going to be that. I have another much smaller tree I have higher hopes for. I got things started last year by layering it (very successfully) and hope to make good progress again this year.
Hijacking my own thread here one more time, I repotted the baby beech yesterday. Mostly thrilled with what I got root-wise. I've heard mixed things about layering beech, but my own experience (admittedly with young material) has been quite good.

The roots all had a 90 degree kink in them from the 4-inch pot I used for the layer. To get them arranged properly I attached it to a tile (I shortened the long ones a bit after this photo).

This one went straight into a ceramic pot. I'm going to grow it very low and slow.

PXL_20210417_193436229.jpg

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
bravo!

why not?
(be specific)
It has several faults that will be very difficult to fix, if they can even be fixed at all. And even if they are fixed, the resulting tree will still only be mediocre. Don't get me wrong, there are things about this tree I like a lot, but I think I can enjoy those things best if I accept this is not going to be a flawless beech and instead lean into it a bit and make those faults "character."

Top Bottom