Beech pruning

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Beechadvancedpruning.htm

In the 'Pinching Back' section

'By pinching back new shoots as they extend and defoliating (removing new leaves) before the leaves harden off, the tree is repeatedly forced to try and replace this lost growth, very often by producing new buds and shoots on the inner areas of the branches.'

In the picture the shoot isn't hardened yet. Have always thought that i need to wait for branch to be hardened before i can cut back to inner nodes.

Is this technique maybe unique to beeches only?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Harry is a reputable bonsai pro. have you seen his Beeches?
something works for him. maybe try it the way he describes and see if it works for you?
asking here just gonna get a bunch of different replies and get confused😉

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I will try his method. Was just wondering if the same method can be applied to other deciduous species.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As soon as the buds are open enough to see what is happening, I remove the tip, leaving only 2 leaves. Based on the recommendations by Harry. It feels like a very similar technique as used for japanese maples. It works well.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
As soon as the buds are open enough to see what is happening, I remove the tip, leaving only 2 leaves. Based on the recommendations by Harry. It feels like a very similar technique as used for japanese maples. It works well.
But surely only in certain stages of development.. ? Same as maples. Wouldn't pinch them all the time, only for certain goals.

I'll have to read Harrys post again. I remember reading all of his articles, a while ago. Time for a refresh I think.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
When do beeches usually produces new buds for the next season?
In other words, when will be the results of this method of pruning visible?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When do beeches usually produces new buds for the next season?
In other words, when will be the results of this method of pruning visible?
This pruning gives you results in the same season, as normally they get ready to sprout again soon after. At times, I help them by defoliating once the leaves have matured.

This year I have pulled the centre from all the budds on my beeches to see whether that is an effective strategy when waiting for the buds to open.

Top Bottom