Beech questions

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Still no buds...I wonder what would've happened if I had left no visible buds at all.

vedecx

Yamadori
Reaction score
Are you completely sure its is as fagus? That type of growth and pattern looks strikingly similar to witch hazel to me. Even the bark seems similar. Looks just like the stump of a witch hazel my parents cut down...

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Are you completely sure its is as fagus? That type of growth and pattern looks strikingly similar to witch hazel to me. Even the bark seems similar. Looks just like the stump of a witch hazel my parents cut down...
I was pretty sure... not so much now.
I will try to carve out the dead side and see what can be done. I have scratched, softly with a brush, to see if it gets any buds next year.

Probably will try to graft the year after that if it still looks like a good idea.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
its a beech.

i would recommend looking for one that has better options in future, in terms of low branching etc. will save you a lot of time in the long run. we already know that the species can be finnicky. its a sometimes they do, sometimes they dont kind of tree.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
its a beech.

i would recommend looking for one that has better options in future, in terms of low branching etc. will save you a lot of time in the long run. we already know that the species can be finnicky. its a sometimes they do, sometimes they dont kind of tree.

Not the best thing to hear... but probably best to hear it sooner than later.

Thanks Bobby

Sifu

Yamadori
Reaction score
Why don't you try with thread grafting? It's the safest and very simple way how to get lower branch/es.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Given that beech are rare in Chile, I can see continuing to work with this trunk. I would just let it grow several more growing seasons. Get it very vigorous again. Buds along the trunk may spontaneously develop. Sometime while beefing up the vigor of the tree, it should be repotted to a wide, but shallow in depth, grow out container, or a grow box. In the mean time, wire branches from that cluster around to put them in good positions to be used as thread grafts. That is really your best option, if you are going to keep this tree.

Have you tried Nothofagus? The southern or antarctic beech might be a good option. They are related to beech, at least in photos look a lot like beech. There are several species of Nothofagus and I think one is native to Chile. There are a couple species native to New Zealand. It is a good option.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Given that beech are rare in Chile, I can see continuing to work with this trunk. I would just let it grow several more growing seasons. Get it very vigorous again. Buds along the trunk may spontaneously develop. Sometime while beefing up the vigor of the tree, it should be repotted to a wide, but shallow in depth, grow out container, or a grow box. In the mean time, wire branches from that cluster around to put them in good positions to be used as thread grafts. That is really your best option, if you are going to keep this tree.

Have you tried Nothofagus? The southern or antarctic beech might be a good option. They are related to beech, at least in photos look a lot like beech. There are several species of Nothofagus and I think one is native to Chile. There are a couple species native to New Zealand. It is a good option.
So I have tried with a death toll equal to 3/3.
I live in Santiago. Nothofagus natural habitat is like 1000km down south. Chile is like 4300km long so we have from desert and Patagonia.

I have branches going down to try grafting but beech bark doesn't heal quick or nice, I prefer natural budding at first.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I have tried with a death toll equal to 3/3.
I live in Santiago. Nothofagus natural habitat is like 1000km down south. Chile is like 4300km long so we have from desert and Patagonia.

I have branches going down to try grafting but beech bark doesn't heal quick or nice, I prefer natural budding at first.

I like Leo’s take -let it get strong...but with that is still to option to give it stress...

Evolutionary I think to what are the mechanisms built into the dna of many trees to make it decide to allocate resources to new branch(s)..? Fire, lightning, wind sure...also being browsed by wild creatures, especially on top

perhaps a combination of both..

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Alternating between building vigor and then a ''stress" to cause back budding is one way to get to a tree with low branches. Stress a weak tree, and death or a weak response is more likely.
I think the tree is very vigorous. The problem is all of it came out of two buds in the same place.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I think the tree is very vigorous. The problem is all of it came out of two buds in the same place.
My note was for going forward, in the future alternate between building vigor, then sharp cut backs. The more energy a tree stores up, the greater the chances of getting back budding.

I do think thread grafting might be your only option.

American hornbeams, Carpinus caroliniana has a particularly smooth bark, similar to beech. Are these available in your area. Any of the other Carpinus are good too, but bark is not as smooth.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My note was for going forward, in the future alternate between building vigor, then sharp cut backs. The more energy a tree stores up, the greater the chances of getting back budding.

I do think thread grafting might be your only option.

American hornbeams, Carpinus caroliniana has a particularly smooth bark, similar to beech. Are these available in your area. Any of the other Carpinus are good too, but bark is not as smooth.
Thanks, leo.
Nope... haven't seen hornbeams at nurseries. A friend has a couple of 3 year seedlings but that's it.

Top Bottom