Beech Seed Stratification - Already Sprouting

heyyou82

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
In mid-October I started stratifying some Japanese Beech seeds purchased from a seed house.

I started with 29 seeds of which 18 sank and 11 floated during the overnight soak.

Stratification has been in the refrigerator, in damp paper towels, in plastic bags - I've been checking the dampness every few weeks or so.

Today, 2 1/2 months after starting, I did a full check on them, including opening the paper towels to check for mold and rot (6 seeds thrown away). What is concerning to me is that 12 have already sprouted a root- the longest being nearly 1 inch in length.

I started the seed stratification right away in October as I read stratification up to 150 days increased success, but now I'm afraid they are growing too soon - I didn't plan on planting until March. No first leaves / cotyledons, which is good.

Any thoughts on what to do? I need to slow them down I think? I could maybe move them from the fridge to my cold area where my trees are, which finally dropped to below 40F, but it has been consistently warmer than the refrigerator this year until now.

Any help appreciated!

Reaction score
I would plant in small pots, place in the cold area (above freezing?). Or they stop, or they grow... In spring you'll know what to do.

1mbrews8

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I just got some seeds and was going to try raising too... But I am in GA so should I start with placing in water to see what's viable now? Fridge? Or wait longer??

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ditto

This has happened to me before which is why I switched to planting all seeds outside in the fall and letting nature do it's thing. Go ahead and plant them now and keep them inside in a well lit location away from a direct source of heat. After the last danger of frost move them outdoors. They will get on a normal cycle this fall. Basically, this is not a bad thing. You have some trees that have a three month jump start on a long growing season!

heyyou82

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A

1mbrews8

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sorry I did not specify the type :) they are Japanese pine seeds. When I saw this thread it made me think of the question lol!

^ I also saw your comment but wasn't sure if it was talking to the original poster or me :) thank you!

heyyou82

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
As I responded to you on the other site. Just keep them refrigerated, they will put out roots then sit dormant until you plant them out in spring. That is what I would do.

Thanks Leo- yup, I'm holding tight on them till spring. I appreciate your insights and experience. Thanks!

heyyou82

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
image.jpg After 5 1/2 months, the 29 original seeds have dropped to 15 that have sprouted a root (longest was about 3") 4 haven't done anything (unlikely to sprout I think) and 10 that were thrown out over time, due to rot.

I'm not sure I would do the damp paper towel method again, as you can see that many of the roots got caught in the fibers, bent, twisted and broke because of this. I attempted to "right" as many as I could when planting, i.e. some are planted on their side (90 degree root exit from seed) and others are point end down (straight exit of root)

I'm glad I followed Leo's prudent advice and didn't Rush the seeds over the winter.

Here's hoping continued success as the seeds hopefully sprout over the next few weeks (indoors, near a window).

You can see the numbers- I am going to be tracking each, including some that I will follow the "cut the tap root" handling, and others that I'll let the roots grow natural.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Today, 2 1/2 months after starting, I did a full check on them, including opening the paper towels to check for mold and rot (6 seeds thrown away). What is concerning to me is that 12 have already sprouted a root- the longest being nearly 1 inch in length.

Any thoughts on what to do? I need to slow them down I think? I could maybe move them from the fridge to my cold area where my trees are, which finally dropped to below 40F, but it has been consistently warmer than the refrigerator this year until now.

Any help appreciated!

Exact situation with Zelkova right now. Debating what to do. Only it took all of two weeks for them to sprout in the fridge.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Vendor said they were a good batch but sheesh... Supposed to be a 90 day cold strat. Gonna have about 300 or so. Plus 75 Princess Persimmons. Guess I better start making room.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 70471

I'm not sure I would do the damp paper towel method again, as you can see that many of the roots got caught in the fibers, bent, twisted and broke because of this.

Hey Heyyou,

I usually cut off the whole paper with roots and plant it too.

Coffee filters are a bit better than paper towel.

Don't change what works!

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not sure I would do the damp paper towel method again, as you can see that many of the roots got caught in the fibers, bent, twisted and broke because of this.
The addition of a small rectangle of plastic can solve this problem. Cut a little rectangle of plastic from a storage bag. Array the seeds on one half and fold the other half over them, then place this plastic 'folder' of seeds on one side of a damp paper towel and fold the rest over it, enclosing the fold of plastic with the seeds inside. Your germinated seeds will not be snarled in the paper towel.

heyyou82

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hey Heyyou,

I usually cut off the whole paper with roots and plant it too.

Coffee filters are a bit better than paper towel.

Don't change what works!

Sorce

Good point on the coffee filters- they are woven tighter and probably less likely to snag a root.

heyyou82

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
To be clear on my comment about not sure if I would do paper towel again, since damp sand also seems to be a popular method, and to me it seems like it would be least likely to inhibit the roots growing straight, it's what I think I might try next time.

Top Bottom