Beech (update)

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Here is the beech re-potted.. I know that the pot is oversized, because next year I will do proper root work and pick the right pot.. I did some work on the apex and made it about 3" shorter.. I also cleaned out the root ball because it was potted in what seemed to be MUD.. It is now in a much more free draining mix..

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 64

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Opted out of the conservative approach I see...I don't think you're too late to repot beech, by the look of the buds. Just be extremely careful overpotting trees; particularly in bonsai containers. Unless your soil is very porous, it will very easily lead to root rot.

Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you have one more decision to make on a large branch toward the apex. A back-left branch is about the same diameter as the main trunk line. I'd remove that sooner than later. They take FOREVER to heal; fortunately it's to the back.

Aside from that, it is a great tree, and J. Beech are special...we should be so lucky to have a few good ones in the states, and yours has the base and trunk line to become a great bonsai. Study up on training them, they are a different animal!

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I actually didn't do much root work.. It was potted in mud so I cleaned the roots and used a very porous mix of lava a little soil sand and pine bark.. It will have root work and be potted in the right pot next spring.. As for the branch, thank's it will be gone..

Thank's, Don

Top Bottom