Beech wired and ready...

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That's a fall defoliation, done to force the tree to develop more buds in the fall, but not giving them enough time to open...similar to what you can do with black pines. Only done on healthy beeches...more info is here.

Excellent!!! I didn't feel comfortable truly defining a time for them .... I have always thought of beeches as a "single flush" species with no real encouragement techniques besides hard pruning .... thank you for the clarification... Its hard to find a good one around here (beech of any kind) i found one at weetree but someone had already bought it :p ....

Both Vic and I love them but for now much admire them from afar....

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For Judy...

Hey Judy and other nuts….no laughing allowed for the tree or the Beer .
The story;
I’ve had this guy since late 2007, got it from a nursery which told me they had been grown from seed and it was a slow growing variety. I wish now that I’d taken the time to look at the buried nebari (lesson learned). It’s nothing to look….but that’s OK…. It’s a long term project and I’m fine with that.

Plan;
Some basic wiring for future shape, plant it into the bare root bed in March, and leave it for a few years (get some girth on it). I’ll try striking some cuttings to use for nebari enhancement and if I master the art of air layering I might try that down the line.

Cheers Graham
Feb20121 047.jpgFeb20121 036.jpgFeb20121 033.jpg

Last edited:

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awww damn....now there's another beer I have to try. I've eaten Kokanee but never drank them. Nice start on the tree, Graham. Can you layer a Beech to get better nebari? I know nothing about Beech.

Judy, I think your tree rocks. I know that's not constructive, so I'll go for the pat on the head :p

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Judy and other nuts….no laughing allowed for the tree or the Beer .
The story;
I’ve had this guy since late 2007, got it from a nursery which told me they had been grown from seed and it was a slow growing variety. I wish now that I’d taken the time to look at the buried nebari (lesson learned). It’s nothing to look….but that’s OK…. It’s a long term project and I’m fine with that.

Plan;
Some basic wiring for future shape, plant it into the bare root bed in March, and leave it for a few years (get some girth on it). I’ll try striking some cuttings to use for nebari enhancement and if I master the art of air layering I might try that down the line.

Cheers Graham
Hey Graham, the top on that is quite a good start, nothing to laugh at, not a bit! I think if you're putting it in a bed, I'd girdle the base, and get a new nebari started on it. Not a lot there that you can use, I wouldn't think. Some folks use old cd's or plastic plates with a hole in the center and a slice to get it around the tree. Look up ground layering if you're unfamiliar with this process. I'll bet in a few years you'll be showing her with a bottled beer!:)

don't ya just love those buds? I love the unfurling of the buds...

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I might just try that.... our growing seasons up here are much shorter than some but I'll give it a shot (woke up to a heavy frost this morning so re-potting is still a few weeks off).;)
The beer is my brothers favourite, I prefer micro brewery ales, IPA, honey browns, ... etc.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well, the buds finally started moving, it's no later than normal, but all my other trees were so far ahead, it seemed late! But I did the repot yesterday, into the Ron Lang pot... I really love the color and shape of the pot.
But for some reason the tree doesn't look as powerful in the pot as I expected... Maybe I just need to let it grow on me. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_1966.jpg
    IMG_1966.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1980.jpg
    IMG_1980.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 145

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice pot, and nice tree, and without knowing what you're going for, my sense is that the composition lacks any power because the overall outline of the pot/tree is diamond shaped with a high center of gravity, so it doesn't have the solid anchoring feel a low rectangle or oval. Would provide. Any time you can see space under the pot (or here, under the rim), it will lose power and provide a feel of instability or floating. There are many cases where that feel is a plus. I suspect you will like it more when it's in full leaf...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes Brian, you may have something there, that could be what I'm feeling.

What I was going for is something to complement the tree, to add to it without detracting... To hit that perfect synergy between pot and tree...
You know it when you see it, and you just think to yourself - that is so perfect.
I'm not feeling it yet.
Obviously it is a lovely pot, and the color I believe is perfect. Maybe it's too early... but...

here it is in it's first pot, something indefinable is missing now... (I think maybe I'm looking at it too hard.)

And the second pot I had it in is in this post above...

Attachments

• IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 138
  • old pot beech_2.jpg
    old pot beech_2.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 126

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For what it's worth (and you may already know this) rectangular pots portray/compliment feelings of power/masculinity, whereas the rounder the edges of the pot are, the more femininity/gracefulness it adds to the total composition. I wonder if something like the pot this tree is in would work well for your tree.. :

trident%20maple%20bonsai%200708%20450.jpg

(jacked from Harry Harringtons' site)

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well as usual with me and new things, I am slowly starting to appreciate this combo. Is it perfect? Not sure on that, but maybe.
But the tree is not masculine to me, so I wanted a rounded shape, and that's where I went.
Ron is fabulous to work with and I'm pleased that he took the time to make such a beautiful pot.

When I see this at a distance, it looks very pleasing. Up close, it is different for some reason. I think because the pot disappears under itself.

I think the thing that startled me the most about it, is that the tree actually looks smaller than it did in the old pot, and I was for sure not expecting that. It's not any smaller when I have to move it around that's for sure!!:p

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
ha ha. well, before you wrote that last post I did a little virtual mashup, and even though it's not such a masculine tree (I agree with you about that actually) I'll post this picture anway :) just for fun, I guess ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• beech bonsai in Harry Harringtons pot.jpg
    beech bonsai in Harry Harringtons pot.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 347

oakandwalnut

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi Judy! Great Tree! Can you tell me what kind of pot the tree was in in the first photo?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi oak, thanks!
Which photo are you talking about?
Both of the older pots are chinese pots from an ebay dealer. oriental arts and furniture. They have lots of large and fairly affordable pots there, but shipping is on the high side.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@daygan .... you are on the right path with this...

it would of course be better in an oval the interesting thing here really is the color of the pot and the depth... the depth is great and its solid (shallower would work too but isn't required) .....

another concept that would work with this is something similar to the pot below (a bryan albright) however in a different color ....
bryanlarge013_1000x500.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And with the first flush of leaves. unfurling beech leaves are heaven.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2009.jpg
    IMG_2009.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 113

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Lovely tree... it is weeks ahead of the beeches in Toronto! I have loved Lang ceramics ever since I saw them at the National exhibition (can't remember which one... maybe both). Your pot is beautiful but I agree completely with Brian VF's remarks... it is a bit unstable.

If it were my tree I would consider a shallow cream oval. The yamafusa cream glaze is very nice.

Anyhow, its just a pot. Changing the pots on trees is half the fun!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
new pot on the way...

Here's a winter shot of the Beech this year, and some photos I just got from Chuck Iker of the pot that he made for it. Shipping this week, can't wait to see it. Going to be perfect for the fall color, and it's going to be a much better shape.

A drool worthy pot I say...

Attachments

• IMG_3058.jpg
    IMG_3058.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 134
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 119
  • image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image-4.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 118

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love it! I can't wait to see them put together. :)

Top Bottom