beech ???

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi Brian,

Not sure if you've seen this or not, but Harry Harrington has a great article on his website on developing branching on beech:

http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Beechadvancedpruning.htm

I have a couple of small beech (or is it beeches?) that I'm growing out right now, so I haven't tried his techniques yet.

Thanks, I'll take a closer look later. So far, it looks pretty consistent with an article in BT.

Layering article in BT = 48 & 49

Gary...you in town anytime soon?

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
Is it weird that it's pushing brown leaves?? Is that normal for this time of year?

I don't know about japanese beech, but for the standard european variety this is normal i have had plenty of experience with beech hedges.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanx donkey.. I am just looking for any hope that the previous owner didn't do too much damage for this tree to recupe.. The nicer the weather the better the tree is looking, so I'm hopeful..

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
Glad to be of help, it is not the new leaves that are brown it is protective scales which should shed around april for the south of england but mid may here in the west of scotland so if the habit of japanese beech is the same you should in a few day's/weeks see some bright pale green leaves

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first thing for me would be putting a fresh layer of soil on top if it isn't getting repotted. it needs to be planted deeper or raise the soil level. do you have a name :)
Wood
Brian, got home this week
Wood

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sorry guy's, my name is Don.. I am definately going to fix the potting issue.. It was actually shipped last year root wrapped and the pot came in a seperate box. When the previous owner potted it he basically sat the packed root on top of the dirt.. I didn't want to mess with it til I got some advice on the beech.. Should I do a full root work job on it or remove the dirt it is sitting on and slip pot it?

Thank's, Don Hanson....

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don, not knowing the health of the tree is a catch 22, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't :) If the soil is draining well you might be money ahead just cleaning the top well with a chopstick and adding fresh soil on top. That's the most conservative approach. You have the tree and familiar with it. If it is healthy and you feel comfortable doing it, then repotting would have been the better option. BUT, it's leafing out and not knowing health history it's a little late to repot.
Wood

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thank's... I think conservative is the best approach for this season.. I can do root work and cleanup work after a good healthy season..

Thank's Don H.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey Don,
This tree really has potential, and it looks like it's leafing out normally. Thanks for sharing photos. Couple thoughts:

1. You can see the upcoming challenge, they are SO apically dominant and this one is a clear example if you look at the disparity between the twigginess and density at the top vs. the sparseness at the bottom...and this only becomes a bigger problem as time passes. Someone else may suggest otherwise, but you might want to cut each of the apex branches back to the first bud opening now and try to keep the top in check and strengthen the bottom.

2. The potting job is poor, but top-dressing it with something a little coarser (work it in slightly) and nursing it through the season is probably the best bet. I really think when you start working on the roots you might find the base is good, and not need to try the layering. It seems radial now...?

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thank's for the advice Brian.. It does have a nice root system.. The apex and the horrible potting job will be fixed within the next few hours.. Pics to follow.. Thank's guys.. Don Hanson..

PS.. Let's Go Mountaineer's!!!!!!!!

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
As mentioned, here are pics of the beech re-pot.. I know the pot is oversized.. I didn't do any major root work aside from washing them out.. I also took care of the apex and used a way better draining soil.. It was potted in what seemed too be MUD.. What do you nuts think?

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 83

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I know there is a lot of work too be done on this tree, but I wanna let it grow healthier first...

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Took some photos the other day and it's been a while since I posted a tree...here's the J. Beech after a pretty strong growing season. The thing had 3 flushes of growth and is still pushing. So far, it definitely looks better with leaves than without, but the ramification is improving. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 0810 Japanese Beech.jpg
    0810 Japanese Beech.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 68
Top Bottom