Beech!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was lucky to find a beech with a structure similar to one I had years ago, and have been missing. I am not sure what variety it is, but my hope is for Fagus Sylvatica, and so far it looks to me like this is likely what this is. The base is a little less smooth than Grandifolia would be, and the fall leaves really did look like EU to me. With any luck the leaves will tell me in the spring when they open.... I took a couple days and wired the whole tree, came out well, and will get a nice Shuho pot in the spring.
IMG_4395.jpgIMG_4397.jpgIMG_4396.jpgs-l1600.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice Judy! Glad you finally got your beech! With any luck it will be a copper one but regardless they are beautiful. I like the pot too!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@coh
I'd have to measure it, probably more like 32".

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks all, it's got a lot of growing to do, but it has got a lot of good attributes to start with. So much fun to wire a large tree again!

LOL yeah I know! I do love well done shohin bonsai, but creatively I could not stay in that space.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@coh
I'd have to measure it, probably more like 32".
I believe that...after I posted last night I looked at the pics again and thought it was probably taller.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks all, it's got a lot of growing to do, but it has got a lot of good attributes to start with. So much fun to wire a large tree again!

Great size. Totally agree with your sentiment about wiring larger trees. Just a totally different ballgame than shohin! I love them both, but it’s tough to beat wiring a nice sized deciduous tree once the leaves have dropped. :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
LOL yeah I know! I do love well done shohin bonsai, but creatively I could not stay in that space.
I didn’t understand when you first told me that, but I totally get it now. Too much maintaining, too little creating.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's sharp Judy! Pot too.
Great job of wiring it. Had to tag and see how this progresses
and any hollow potential.
Yeah, I have not decided what to do with that uro at this point. There are also other scars, which will probably never heal perfectly, but most of them are fairly well healed for beech.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's lovely. I can't get over how well that pot will pair with this tree!

Top Bottom