Beeches, are yours awake yet??

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I only have 1 and it has yet to wake up. I have heard they are one of the last to leaf out in the spring.

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Two hours north of you and mine haven’t done a thing.
Starting to get a little nervous but the oaks and hickory arn’t showing any movement either.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Two hours north of you and mine haven’t done a thing.
Starting to get a little nervous but the oaks and hickory arn’t showing any movement either.
Ok, I feel a little better. I scratch the bark and it is still green.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are last to go. Typically single flush trees. Hornbeams are slow also.

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah some of my hornbeam are slowing coming out, but I’m with you on the scratching. It was my first year collecting so I’m a little nervous that all that work was for nothing, but hey it’s always a good feeling when you see green.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
They’re late starters but my J. Beech is moving:
DA2FF2DF-4DA6-4DFA-8FD5-BADB2676347F.jpeg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My American hornbeam and American hophornbeam are leafing. one beech has just barely started unfurling.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My Hornbeam leafed out very early. It may be wishful thinking, but I thought I saw the buds on my Beech swelling some today.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My American hornbeam and hop just started. Beech and a winged elm were by far the latest last year. Oddly, that same elm was first this season.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hornbeam is very different from beech.

Beech does not start here untill all others are clearly pushing foliage. 4-6 weeks later. Mine are all dormant yet I have already 2 inches of groth on my eonymous.

Bonsaidoorguy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I only have 1 and it has yet to wake up. I have heard they are one of the last to leaf out in the spring.
A couple buds swelling but I was starting to worry because everything else is waking up. I too only have one beech and it's comforting to know that they just take their time. This is it's first spring with me and I hear that when the buds break that they really take off.

MiguelMC

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
MY copper Beech is already leafing but the other ones are still slepping and I'm zone 10b if I'm not mistaken. So yeah they are taking their sweet time

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Apart from my biggest Jap Beech, planted in the beds (I have 4 Jap Beech, 3 in the ground) plus another sylvatica (collected from the beds a week ago) none of the others are pushing yet. The bigger Jap Beech is actually flowering and always pushes before the others which is interesting. It's not a Fuji - bigger leaves & internodes. Even in Crenata there seems to be quite a big difference in genetics.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think this varies a lot among species and also among years. My Tilia is not moving yet, and those in the landscape are not moving either. Oaks are only starting. English elm is starting whereas I already pruned my Chinese elm twice. JM also pushed back in February. It’s very variable.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beech and oaks are the last to bud. Towards mid to late April for me. I love these late starters because it gives me a little time between them and my Japanese maples that begin to move much earlier. My Tilia is finally moving.

Top Bottom