Beefwood pine?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I believe that this is a Beefwood, just to get some conformation. Also I am going for a formal upright am I on the right track?

Attachments

• 20150820_170120-1.jpg
    20150820_170120-1.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 67

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn't look like any kind of pine I've ever seen.
What is it planted in?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's in a pot, my dad brought it up from cape town, he has a bunch of them there as a wind break, he says it's a beefwood. It's only about a year old

Bonsaiguy_2012

Seedling
Reaction score
We call them Ironwood here in Hawaii, they make for a wonderful bonsai. I have several in my collection, they will continue to put out new growth all along the trunk so chances of having a branch where you desire is very possible.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Causarina species are considered an exotic invasive species in Florida, they have escaped and have naturalized themselves in the landscape. They like wetter areas, seedlings have sprouted along water ways in many areas in south Florida. Adult plants tolerate dryer soils, but both seedlings and adults grow faster with soils kept wetter than what we would normally do for pines. They definitely do make good bonsai, keep em moist, give them sun and they will take off for you. And remove seedlings growing "wild" in your yard, don't let them mature to the point of making seed, or you will create a plague on the neighborhood. Actually since volunteers are coming up in your yard, your neighbor has already started the plague.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Causarina species are considered an exotic invasive species in Florida, they have escaped and have naturalized themselves in the landscape. They like wetter areas, seedlings have sprouted along water ways in many areas in south Florida. Adult plants tolerate dryer soils, but both seedlings and adults grow faster with soils kept wetter than what we would normally do for pines. They definitely do make good bonsai, keep em moist, give them sun and they will take off for you. And remove seedlings growing "wild" in your yard, don't let them mature to the point of making seed, or you will create a plague on the neighborhood. Actually since volunteers are coming up in your yard, your neighbor has already started the plague.

No it's not in the ground, I got to seedlings in a pot. I got it from cape town which is abouthe 14 hours south of where I am, I'm in johannesburg, they use them as wind breaks for the wineyards in the cape

Top Bottom