Been Busy

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been very busy the last year or so with a new job, so haven't been around here. I apologize for dropping out so quietly.

The pandemic has given me a renewed appreciation for my trees and for bonsai folk.

Two recent events (well one very recent, the other not so much), had me missing the 'Nut. The first was the news about Ryan Neil's problems out at Mirai. The second was the news of potter Ron Lang's retirement.

I only recently read about the vandalism that struck Bonsai Mirai earlier this year. Such destruction is bottomless in its stupidity. I haven't heard how things turned out, but Ryan seemed to be handling it well.

Ron Lang, who I've known for the last 20+ years, announced his retirement from bonsai pot making earlier this summer. His last two loads of pots have been sold--the very last lot of them sold yesterday in what looked like an hour--$2,400 wash basin-sized pots included. If you have a pot from Ron, treasure it even more. There aren't going to be any more. To tie it togethert, Bonsai Mirai's Ron Lang stock is also sold out. I managed to snag two larger nanban pots by chance in the last couple of weeks from Ron. The bonsai world will miss his creative, precise pots. I haven't seen a decent replacement for it.

With the new job, I miss the connection I have with bonsai people (I still have the trees, but bonsai is not really about trees. It's about people and their interaction with nature, including other human beings.

Yours in bonsai
Rockm

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good to see you back online. I was wondering where you ventured off to.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't realize Lang was retiring. Picked up a couple of his pots about 3 years ago and was planning to get some more. Oh well!

Regarding the Mirai vandalism, Ryan hasn't said much in his various videos though at one point I'm pretty sure he said he wouldn't be living on the property anymore. Maybe one of the posters who is more tuned into the Mirai "scene" can verify (or not). I think Ryan said they caught the person who they believe destroyed the place but haven't heard any other details.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Miss bumping heads with you. Glad you're back and hope you stay awhile.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have not seen much from you in awhile either, Chris. Hope all is well! :cool: @coh

Thanks. Just decided to cut way back on social media for a while and bnut was one of the casualties. All is well. For a variety of reasons, my trees got a bit away from me this season so I'm working hard to get them back under control.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
With the new job, I miss the connection I have with bonsai people (I still have the trees, but bonsai is not really about trees. It's about people and their interaction with nature, including other human beings.
I'm new at this, but I am enjoying the level of interaction and the willingness to help from most people here.

There has been no updates from Mirai or Ryan, he did mentioned in one of the streams that the individual was caught and under custody. Mirai is under video surveillance, so it was pretty much a done deal for the guy. The act was not bonsai related, just a random act by a moron that had nothing else better to do. Below is a quote from Eve that was posted a few days after the incident.

From Eve@Mirai:
Hi all!

I just want to give everyone an additional update since there have been a lot of questions and so many kind, well wishes; thank you all so much.

We can assure you all that we do have security cameras, the suspect is in custody, and the court case is active. Please know that this was not bonsai community related vandalism, it seems to have been a random incident.

For the sake of keeping the community positive and moving on from the strife, this is the most information we are comfortable disclosing. Ryan is overall extremely positive still. Material things can be replaced, Ryan will always make new bonsai, and most importantly, the heart of Mirai still beats strong with ideas, pursuits, and plans for the future!

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Glad to see you back @rockm. I didn't know Lang was retiring either - wish I had picked up some of his pots. I do have a couple of his slabs that are really nice though.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Happy to see you posting again as well. Glad the thread with everyone discussing your custom title didn’t run you off for good!! 😂

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
On the theme of retiring, there's a number of potters that are reaching a "certain age", and may be retiring in the not too distant future. I was glad I got a few Karen Schumann pots before she retired. If I were a speculator, might be a good time to get a few Sara Raynor pots, though I have no knowledge of her plans. I was glad I picked up a few Dale Cohoy pots before he passed away.

We're all getting older.

Glad you're doing well Mark, and Chris.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
On the theme of retiring, there's a number of potters that are reaching a "certain age", and may be retiring in the not too distant future. I was glad I got a few Karen Schumann pots before she retired. If I were a speculator, might be a good time to get a few Sara Raynor pots, though I have no knowledge of her plans. I was glad I picked up a few Dale Cohoy pots before he passed away.

We're all getting older.

Glad you're doing well Mark, and Chris.

I have one of Paul Katich's pots and one Richard Robertson who are both, sadly, no longer with us. I also have a couple from Jack Hoover (Eagleville Bonsai). I haven't seen many updates to his Etsy shop so I hope he is ok. Anybody have any news about him?

If Sara decides to retire, I'm in good shape there - Haha. I have a bunch of stuff from her and I'm currently corresponding with her about a large pot for a big crape myrtle. That's going to be an expensive one - but worth it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
See...... I told you he was still alive.

Yeah it's not @PebbleM!

They just been out burying @lieuz ...again!

I thought these "events" were going to be Bonsai shows.
Sucks and Sucks.

Hopefully Ron is retiring to the PNW for "hunting" season.

🌐👀, This here ain't too crazy!

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
bonsai is not really about trees. It's about people and their interaction with nature, including other human beings.
That's why there was some concern over your departure. Glad all is well!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had been wondering whether the Mirai vandalism was bonsai-related or not. Obviously a terrible situation for Ryan, but I guess(?) it is a silver lining that it was not someone or a group specifically targeting BONSAI, the practice and the trees that we are all so passionate about.

Glad I picked up a Ron Lang last year. Looks like it might be the only one I have in my collection as these become harder and harder to come by in future years.

RageATM

Seed
Reaction score
I had been wondering whether the Mirai vandalism was bonsai-related or not. Obviously a terrible situation for Ryan, but I guess(?) it is a silver lining that it was not someone or a group specifically targeting BONSAI, the practice and the trees that we are all so passionate about.

Glad I picked up a Ron Lang last year. Looks like it might be the only one I have in my collection as these become harder and harder to come by in future years.
I guess it depends on interpretation regarding affiliation with the bonsai world. I came across randomly someone who says it was his ex-wife. There is a public criminal record if you wanted ‘proof’. I’m not going to make any guesses why there wasn’t transparency other than for the sake of privacy, but sounds like laundry that should never have been aired at all if that’s the case.

If you look up old articles on the beginnings of BM, not only did she give up her career in law, she played a pivotal role in the success of the business with branding that makes Mirai, well, Mirai as it is today. Makes it less hard to believe losing it all and becoming a single mom and starting over from scratch might have caused a lapse in judgement.

Top Bottom