Been doing my own Box store challenge/ "instant bonsai" stuff lately..

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So, I bought this little Pro Nana a couple weeks ago- about $10 at the local nursery. This is how it looked when I got it:

A pic while it was being worked on:

after it was pretty much done with the first round of work:

and then I got a real camera!!

IT is no masterpiece and it damn sure isn't "done" yet... I left the trailing branch long for now to let it keep growing out and thickening a little more over the coming year, I haven't put a lick of wire on the top yet because I like the little "helmet" it has right now... Probably going to let it grow that trailing branch and keep the rest tight... Might put it in a little bonsai tray and finish off the top next year.

Went back to the same nursery today because it was 50% off EVERYTHING (Johng... I was weak! Couldn't wait for 75% off!! Today was my day off, had a gift card to spend..)
And got two more- $5 each!!

started on one

I gotthis beat down looking little Firethorn!

Has a nice little wiggle in the trunk:

just some screwing around I have been doing for fun/ practice!!

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looking good! Hint Hint; Start practicing on evergreens that are not in the coniferous family for the next Box Store Challenge but don't tell anyone I told you. :rolleyes:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here's a fun contest idea...

We each buy a tree, and then draw numbers out of a hat, and then we SHIP that tree to someone else who has to style it :) We post the results here.

I think we all have a tendency to choose material that speaks to us. I learn the most when I have to think outside of the box :)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
We could save on shipping if each participant goes out and buys a tree they are assigned with by another random participant.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The shipping thing sounds like a great idea but I think there would be too many problems. What would we do for members outside the U.S.? Shipping a 5' tree in a 3 gallon pot could get expensive.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking good! Hint Hint; Start practicing on evergreens that are not in the coniferous family for the next Box Store Challenge but don't tell anyone I told you. :rolleyes:

Holly, Buxus, Azalea... Could be some cool "instant bonsai"!

This same nursery used to carry Gumpo and Chinzan Azaleas all the time... This year they got rid of them and only carry "bloomathon" and "Encore" Azaleas... Kind of a bummer.

They also have large landscape Tridents which is not something I see often. Their JM are way over priced for badly grafted stock IMO. It is a local nursery chain, kind of a "snooty" plant place and some stuff there is ridiculously over priced, but sometimes you get crazy deals too! This time of year they out everything on sale...

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Holly, Buxus, Azalea... Could be some cool "instant bonsai"!

You may be on to something (rubbing hands together and grinning)...

This same nursery used to carry Gumpo and Chinzan Azaleas all the time... This year they got rid of them and only carry "bloomathon" and "Encore" Azaleas... Kind of a bummer.

They also have large landscape Tridents which is not something I see often. Their JM are way over priced for badly grafted stock IMO. It is a local nursery chain, kind of a "snooty" plant place and some stuff there is ridiculously over priced, but sometimes you get crazy deals too! This time of year they out everything on sale...

My go-to nursery is doing the same thing, almost everything Azalea is Encore now. JM's are the same poorly grafted abomination as well. Unfortunately, if they are to survive in a Box Store world they have to go with the flow. Very sad though.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Just my opinion so put the ropes, hoes, axes and shovels away and don't storm the castle. The Japanese judge contests on sundry levels and criteria from what I understand. I think we should look at this in a similar way.

I don't think shipping material from one member to another, as good an idea as it is, will be practical and therefore undoable and therefore---- undone in the end. If we want to make changes from before and if things are supposed to be equally burdened or rewarded, depending on which side of the issue you wind up sitting on, I think the entire thing could be made more fun and more rewarding. We will follow that up shortly.

I suppose we should have a dollar limit on material, like maybe a maximum of $50.00. On another site, that became so paranoiod they destroyed them selves with suspecions and guilt, we used to post pictures of the receipts that used to work pretty well. I don't think prizes are a good idea because the kind of thing just mentioned is what happens with prizes. I think bragging rites and the experience of being involved is enough.

Then we go out to the big box store aka nursery and pick material to work on that does not exceed the above amount. We then post the receipt picture and post pictures of the tree. from four angles. The tree will be assigned points according to how good the material is from a bonsai point of view. I have not worked out how that will be done in my mind yet. However; I have something floating around in that mess, which is my imagination, that seems to think a series of separate categories with separate point systems could prove to be interesting, rewarding good work and good skills without overly rewarding money.

I am going to post this now to see what kind of feed back we get and so that I do not forget where my mind is going on this thing

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So, I bought this little Pro Nana a couple weeks ago- about $10 at the local nursery. This is how it looked when I got it:

Eric; I enjoyed the trees you have been working on. The way things are looking around here, as of now, it is going to be late April before anyone here is going to be able to even find material.

Last edited:

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just my opinion so put the ropes, hoes, axes and shovels away and don't storm the castle. The Japanese judge contests on sundry levels and criteria from what I understand. I think we should look at this in a similar way.

I don't think shipping material from one member to another, as good an idea as it is, will be practical and therefore undoable and therefore---- undone in the end. If we want to make changes from before and if things are supposed to be equally burdened or rewarded, depending on which side of the issue you wind up sitting on, I think the entire thing could be made more fun and more rewarding. We will follow that up shortly.

I suppose we should have a dollar limit on material, like maybe a maximum of $50.00. On another site, that became so paranoiod they destroyed them selves with suspecions and guilt, we used to post pictures of the receipts that used to work pretty well. I don't think prizes are a good idea because the kind of thing just mentioned is what happens with prizes. I think bragging rites and the experience of being involved is enough.

Then we go out to the big box store aka nursery and pick material to work on that does not exceed the above amount. We then post the receipt picture and post pictures of the tree. from four angles. The tree will be assigned points according to how good the material is from a bonsai point of view. I have not worked out how that will be done in my mind yet. However; I have something floating around in that mess, which is my imagination, that seems to think a series of separate categories with separate point systems could prove to be interesting, rewarding good work and good skills without overly rewarding money.

I am going to post this now to see what kind of feed back we get and so that I do not forget where my mind is going on this thing

And handicap points for newbies, right...

Seriously, though, sounds like fun.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Vance, your description is exactly how we structured the Fall Challenge when you were out of pocket. Soon, I'll post the rules again and give everyone ample time to acquire material. I think everyone had fun with the last one and there wasn't a single argument. Although I haven't asked, it would be great if Walter Pall would judge this one. Any thoughts or input from you will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Eric; I enjoyed the trees you have been working on. The way things are looking around here, as of now, it is going to be late April before anyone here is going to be able to even find material.

Lots of snow ehh? Ouch! It is nice living in the South sometimes...

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, your description is exactly how we structured the Fall Challenge when you were out of pocket. Soon, I'll post the rules again and give everyone ample time to acquire material. I think everyone had fun with the last one and there wasn't a single argument. Although I haven't asked, it would be great if Walter Pall would judge this one. Any thoughts or input from you will be appreciated.

I would love to see Walter do the judging.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Me as well....Sure wish I could borrow him for a day or two to ride around with me and point out the good collectable Yamadori in my neck of the woods.

Brian

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've done a couple instant bonsai, but it's been all spruce. A local nursery I visit informed me they have plum and spruce 75% off so I grabbed a few and been styling some spruce. I'm gonna be taking a couple pics tomorrow. Good job btw

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

A pic while it was being worked on:

after it was pretty much done with the first round of work:

and then I got a real camera!!

IT is no masterpiece and it damn sure isn't "done" yet... I left the trailing branch long for now to let it keep growing out and thickening a little more over the coming year, I haven't put a lick of wire on the top yet because I like the little "helmet" it has right now... Probably going to let it grow that trailing branch and keep the rest tight... Might put it in a little bonsai tray and finish off the top next year.

Went back to the same nursery today because it was 50% off EVERYTHING (Johng... I was weak! Couldn't wait for 75% off!! Today was my day off, had a gift card to spend..)
And got two more- $5 each!!

started on one

I gotthis beat down looking little Firethorn!

Has a nice little wiggle in the trunk:

just some screwing around I have been doing for fun/ practice!!

Just to update this one... the first one is about to go in a bonsai pot this spring.. just ran out of good pots, time and good soil last spring! I DID get the one that was sitting in the box on the left in a Bonsai tray and wound up selling it on a FB page earlier in the year... Don't think I have a pic. I have also repotted the one on the right from the box as well..
Potential front
DSC02896.JPG DSC02901.JPG
Potential back DSC02910.JPG DSC02911.JPG
Just a little detail- the only "wiring" I did during the repot- propped a branch up with a chop stick. Also you can the beginning of some dead wood features at the top. I was repotting a bit early (yesterday), didn't want to push my luck and go hard with deadwood or wire at the same time. I am not real concerned about repotting this guy right now, I will protect from hard freezes and bet it will be just fine! Testing the limits of how early I can go with a full repot. Did it with this guy and with a Red Maple (Rubrum not Palmatum) as test subjects this year. I generally don't start for another month or so... I will see how it works out this year. figured if Iw as gonna experiment I should do it on inexpensive stock... DSC02906.JPG

Top Bottom