Been following MarkScott’s threat Chuhin Broom Elm trying to develop a broom

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dug this up about a month and a half ago.Chopped it down started to bud. I know it’s an elm but ‘anyone know what kind of elm .I know it’s very hard to tell right now any insight on development would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 8CC131DE-AAEA-4E00-8CCF-60C594E00C96.jpeg
    8CC131DE-AAEA-4E00-8CCF-60C594E00C96.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 155

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Just a small observation, that you will want to shift the hose clamp right up to the top of the cut. Why, because as all the new growth grows and the sub-trunks grow/swell you will get outward swelling as well as inward. 508B7727-A27B-4253-A5A7-768FB41F983A.jpeg
You can see where I had the clamp. I almost wonder whether you can raise the clamp higher after you get the new growth hardened up (me pondering).
Fun project all the same 👍.
Charles

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@KiwiPlantGuy Thank you for that suggestion .I will move the clamp up once it hardens off As you said.Would you suggest me putting v cuts On each side of the new buds and is it too early to do now or wait until the New shoots harden off. Thank you for your help and suggestions fun little project .

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@KiwiPlantGuy Thank you for that suggestion .I will move the clamp up once it hardens off As you said.Would you suggest me putting v cuts On each side of the new buds and is it too early to do now or wait until the New shoots harden off. Thank you for your help and suggestions fun little project .

Hi,
Yep to the V cuts. I haven’t done that here and am probably not too late I guess. I will chop this back real short and try for taper etc.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What did he threaten you with?

I'd swap the clamp for a rubber coupling.

The tree can safely swell into the rubber a bit before you need to move it.

Getting it on correct before more shoots appear is important ImO.

Sorce

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm growing a trunk for now also an elm going to try the same method so keep us posted I'll follow with interest

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
👍
I'm growing a trunk for now also an elm going to try the same method so keep us posted I'll follow with interest
Hi,
Yep to the V cuts. I haven’t done that here and am probably not too late I guess. I will chop this back real short and try for taper etc.
Charles
Found your thread. Kiwis Chinese Elm broom Lots of great information on it thanks.

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What did he threaten you with?

I'd swap the clamp for a rubber coupling.

The tree can safely swell into the rubber a bit before you need to move it.

Getting it on correct before more shoots appear is important ImO.

Sorce
That’s a good suggestion . May try rapping This thick rubber zip tied and wired.My be a bit more forgiving. Thanks Sorce!

Attachments

• 5EF91B25-14CD-4248-BA98-32B9820B4B93.jpeg
    5EF91B25-14CD-4248-BA98-32B9820B4B93.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 95

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hi Elyah. Put the rubber beneath the hose clamp and slide it right to the edge of the cut, as mentioned above. You can wait until you start getting some extension- not important until then.

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks markyscott. Never thought of that. I will put the rubber underneath the clamp.Will wait for more extension. As you said not important right now .The buds are very tender right now. Also Thank you for your insight . Markyscott.I am a hobbyist and a beginner but must say follow a lot of your threads you explain very good. Detail picked a lot up from your threads .Thank you for your Sharing your knowledge.

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s a process. Some of the things I read on here. I grasp too late. As well unfortunately ..Lotta knowledgeable great people on this fourm unfortunately I’m not great at grammar so I keep it very short.
I didn't know about the clamp back when I did this :rolleyes:

View attachment 300823

Elyah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It’s a process. Some of the things I read on here. I grasp too late. As well unfortunately ..Lotta knowledgeable great people on this fourm unfortunately I’m not great at grammar so I keep it very short.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks markyscott. Never thought of that. I will put the rubber underneath the clamp.Will wait for more extension. As you said not important right now .The buds are very tender right now. Also Thank you for your insight . Markyscott.I am a hobbyist and a beginner but must say follow a lot of your threads you explain very good. Detail picked a lot up from your threads .Thank you for your Sharing your knowledge.

We‘re all students here, but thank you. I’m glad you got something out of them.

S

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
I really like markyscott thread on his progress hes had on his broom style elm. I would think digging out the heartwood at the chop is better when done early ( taking out a cylinder of heartwood). Then when you get buds coming out of the cambium all around the chop you have the swelling of those buds which turn into long soon to be sub trunks and adding the hose clamp is two techniques that will better insure no reverse taper/outward swelling. Just a thought and hopefully markyscott can comment if this is a good idea or not

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
These are from a while ago. I learned 2 important things:

1. Moving the clamp up too high, too soon makes the shoot(s) very susceptible to breaking and causing the tree to die, and

2. Trunk chops like these should be done during weeks of aggressive growth so you get many buds instead of just one or two
8850ECD3-BC5D-45B3-B387-9207305DD58E.jpeg
Goodbye Zelkova that I stratified from seed:
C6A7BE6E-A6D2-4DFA-94EA-929B3349341B.jpeg
Cut rubber garden hose used under the hose clamp, by the way.

Top Bottom