Been Reading....

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Brand new to the game here. Heard this place is the place to go for good advice.

Where do I go for lessons and what is the most important peice of advise that you received when you started bonzi?

Really excited and can't wait to get started.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
First off, welcome. The first thing you can do is add your location to your profile. This information is often needed before we can answer your questions. Joining a bonsai club is your best bet to learning about the art and craft of bonsai (as well as Saikei, Penjing, etc.). You can find info on your local club at the American Bonsai Societies web site, they list all clubs by state.

As for advice. First develop patience. A tree is just a tree before it becomes a pre-bonsai and many years before it is a bonsai. With patience you will not try to condense years into minutes. The second thing is to learn to not only keep your trees alive for several years, but to have them thrive.

Oh and responses are not immediate. Most of us only sign on once a day. But don't worry someone will respond.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Read lots here by using search function for whatever topic you seek knowledge on. If you can't find it, then start a thread with your question.
Join a local club.
Learn what will grow in your area.
Experiment, but be patient.
Learn how to choose quality stock to use for bonsai once you learn how to keep things healthy in your climate.

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks guys(or gals). My buddy introduced me to bonsai and I have been a lurker for a couple weeks on the forum. Seems like a great culture of folks and I can't wait to be a part of it.

I've heard juniper is the best place to start, and pine would be the biggest challenge. Any thoughts on that?

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
As others have said, put your location in your profile. That way folks will know what you are close to. There are really helpful people scattered around the country. Also people will know of good clubs near you. In the mean time, go to this site and read everything:

https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Start off with some good pre-bonsai material from a reputable vendor. Pick a cultivars that have success in your climate. Once decided upon read all you can on its care, seek out advice and guidance from this forum and your local club. Don't spend a fortune at first as you must learn to keep a tree alive and healthy. Don't cry to much if you kill a tree or two (unless you didn't follow the advice on spending).
Don't rush out and buy 27 bonsai tools. Only get what you need, but get top quality. Most recommend a concave cutter, wire cutter, root pick/rake and pruning scissors. The investment will be worth it.

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Great! Thanks the responses. I know you guys are used to these types of threads so I appreciate the helpful feedback.

Do you have to start with pre bonsai? I'd rather just start the bonsai process with a small bud. Does that make sense? Is that even possible?

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Redwood Ryan, I knew there would be posters like you on here. Don't click on the thread if you don't have anything positive to add.

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ha! Sorry about that. I'm not up to par on the emoji's.

Any thoughts on pre-bonsai vs going directly to a bud?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As was stated already, update your location in your profile. Certain plants will not survive in certain climates. Solid suggestions can be provided to you once your location is known.

What do you mean going directly to a bud? do you mean a seedling? If so, a seedling will more than likely require many, many years to grow out before it can be trained as bonsai.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
What kinds of plants grow as landscape where you are? Go get one and learn to keep it alive outside and in a container. I would master the horticultural part first was I you. Seriously though we need some info if we are going to point you in the right direction. Also, we are a pretty tight knit community that likes to tease each other a bit. So I would recommend growing a bit of thick skin. Like the sticky post says on the front page seek not to offend and seek to not be offended. ;-)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would start with cheaper landscape materials and learn how to keep things alive, how to repot, prune and wire at the right times and get things to survive that.

Remember never to be too eager to do too much at once or youll kill alot of trees. Everything has a right time to do it and each tree needs a chance to recoover before you do more things.

Read, read and read some more.

Update your profile with your location so we dont have to keep asking you where you are. We wont remember if you just post it in this thread and that information is important for us to give you the best advice.

Welcome to the addiction, good luck.

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think I'm already addicted. Thanks guys! I'm heading to our local nursery to get some pots and dirt amd tools. I'll report back for more questions I'm sure. Sorry for taking Redwood Ryan so serious. Been a touchy day at work.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey L.O.G.,

F work!

Welcome to crazy!

If you start from a seed, start from many seeds.
By mid summer, take em out the pot, adjust your roots, cut the taproot, and get them in the ground or colanders.

Find a place to acquire proper substrate materials. (Location?)

Since seedlings are quite vigorous, learning to care for them is quite different than caring for an old collected tree, or even a young prebonsai.

If you begin collecting, keeping this material alive is great for knowledge and confidence. As you train your eye, you will collect better stuff and be prepared.

Everything goes outside, except tropicals in winter!

Research everything before buying anything, soil, colanders, species, tools, pest control, etc.
Last thing you need is a pile of dirt you'll never need!

Well alright!

Sorce

LEAVESOFGRASS

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks source! I got some things last night, but I got lazy and just planted a tulip in the pot I bought!! I'm going back today for bonsai material. As far as location, I'm in the Southeast.

Top Bottom