Been Shopping Greenwood Bonsai

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, yesterday I decided to buy myself some bonsai.

Yep, I decided to take my birthday money along to Greenwood Bonsai in Nottingham. So, on my drive to Nottingham, I decided to buy only stock for another Forest (I do like forest's) and only spend cash that I had, or I could only see myself spending all the money I have and more. So, on arrival I went around all the tree's greenwood had and by God they have plenty of trees and young saplings and tools and more. I even had the honor of meeting Corin, now me being me (a bit cheeky) asked Corin to help me chose the Japanese Maple’s for my next project, I only picked nine young saplings, But I may add some more in the autumn say October of both Maple and Larch Increase them by two for the Maple and six for the Larch I am undecided at the moment. I bought feed and two pots for my forest and two of the green compost scoops.

I am going to buy an indoor elm bonsai next week from a local bonsai nursery

So I hope you like what I have bought I do and hope the make Corin proud

Corin did say I could trim the maple now so I’m off to watch a video or three on trimming the new growth on the maple trees

20230701_120051.jpg

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is the inspiration for the maple forest I will be doing in the spring

I can’t believe the amount of root he removes but I will link the follow-on video as well

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice start there. Do yourself a favor and buy an OUTDOOR chinese elm. An "indoor Chinese elm," is basically a dead elm (over time). Chinese elms don't do well at all inside.

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm I have a inside Elm that is outside at the moment that doing ok is there a difference between Elm inside and outside ??

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@rockm I have a inside Elm that is outside at the moment that doing ok is there a difference between Elm inside and outside ??
Outdoor are hardy. Both should be outside in Summer

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is no difference.

There are no "indoor" Chinese elms, only sellers who market them as such hoping to sell a tree because people don't understand that. Buyers see the "indoor bonsai" marketing thing and jump at the chance because of preconceived notions about bonsai being kept indoors. Bonsai has NEVER been an indoor thing. It's not done in Japan at all. It's a sales tactic in the West where bonsai is misunderstood by most people who think bonsai are houseplants that can be kept as such.

Chinese elm won't get much past two or three years of living inside. They wear themselves out. Inside is a very hostile environment for them. Indoor humidity levels are the same, or lower than, a desert.

Indoor light levels are ten times lower than outdoors, even near a window.

Constant indoor temperatures of between 60-70 degrees, as well as lack of moderation of that light, prevents Chinese Elms from entering dormancy. Dormancy is brought on by shortening day lengths that begin at the summer solstice, as well as declining temperatures as fall comes. Lack of dormancy, compounded by all the other difficult factors wears them down over time.

Two years from now, your "indoor elm" is likely to be a shadow of its former self, with dropped branches and yellowing, dropping leaves.

There will be people who will say keeping Chinese Elm indoors is not a problem and they've been doing it for years. Speaking from experience, I can say it CAN be done, but only with extensive supplemental light and a room dedicated to them with a humidifier.

If you really want to get the most for your money, put the elm you get outside and get a tropical species for an "indoor" tree. Tropical species such as ficus and shefflera can handle more difficult indoor conditions and don't require dormancy and high light levels to survive. Even then, most people growing them successfully inside, give them a "vacation" outside in the summer so they can recuperate enough to make it through winter inside.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
There is no difference.

There are no "indoor" Chinese elms, only sellers who market them as such hoping to sell a tree because people don't understand that. Buyers see the "indoor bonsai" marketing thing and jump at the chance because of preconceived notions about bonsai being kept indoors. Bonsai has NEVER been an indoor thing. It's not done in Japan at all. It's a sales tactic in the West where bonsai is misunderstood by most people who think bonsai are houseplants that can be kept as such.

Chinese elm won't get much past two or three years of living inside. They wear themselves out. Inside is a very hostile environment for them. Indoor humidity levels are the same, or lower than, a desert.

Indoor light levels are ten times lower than outdoors, even near a window.

Constant indoor temperatures of between 60-70 degrees, as well as lack of moderation of that light, prevents Chinese Elms from entering dormancy. Dormancy is brought on by shortening day lengths that begin at the summer solstice, as well as declining temperatures as fall comes. Lack of dormancy, compounded by all the other difficult factors wears them down over time.

Two years from now, your "indoor elm" is likely to be a shadow of its former self, with dropped branches and yellowing, dropping leaves.

There will be people who will say keeping Chinese Elm indoors is not a problem and they've been doing it for years. Speaking from experience, I can say it CAN be done, but only with extensive supplemental light and a room dedicated to them with a humidifier.

If you really want to get the most for your money, put the elm you get outside and get a tropical species for an "indoor" tree. Tropical species such as ficus and shefflera can handle more difficult indoor conditions and don't require dormancy and high light levels to survive. Even then, most people growing them successfully inside, give them a "vacation" outside in the summer so they can recuperate enough to make it through winter inside.
Chinese elms can possibly live indoor in the hand of an experienced grower who knows how to create an environment suitable for them. If one has to ask question of the difference between indoor and outdoor Chinese elms, one is not that experienced grower. Then a Chinese elm that is kept indoor is a dead elm that its owner simply doesn't know it yet.

Tinyjames

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know winter is a long way off BUT Corin put his Forest in a greenhouse to help his trees to recover (I would think to stop the tree's moving around in the wind) I don't have a green house and have no plans to buy one. I have bought some shading material to protect my trees from the wind so would this work for a new planted forest to recover from this project

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know winter is a long way off BUT Corin put his Forest in a greenhouse to help his trees to recover (I would think to stop the tree's moving around in the wind) I don't have a green house and have no plans to buy one. I have bought some shading material to protect my trees from the wind so would this work for a new planted forest to recover from this project
You don't need a greenhouse. Just put the planting in an area where it gets three hours or so of morning sun and shade in the afternoon. Area should be shielded from the worst of the wind (although not absolutely necessary).

FWIW, I'd stick with Corin and Greenwood Bonsai as your place to get bonsai stuff. That outfit has a long knowledgeable history and looks to have very good stock (And doesn't seem to be pushing indoor elms...)

Top Bottom