Beetle Damage?

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I collected a 4' ponderosa(I think) and didn't notice when collecting that it had some of these places on the bark and branches with crumb-like deposits with holes. Any idea what kinda borers did this and what I can do to repel them from this tree?

beetle_damage_1.jpg

beetle_damage_2.jpg

ponderosa.jpg

Bit of a buzzkill to note this when I was potting it up at home. I'm a bit new at this so I am still learning what to look for when collecting. If I can't remedy the issues with this tree, at least I can get another one or two and know what to look for before collecting them.

Mountain pine beetle maybe? Per this page - this tree may be a goner?

somegeek

Last edited:

ovation22

Mame
Reaction score
Doesn't look like ponderosa to me. Would you mind filling in your profile? Might go a long way in getting location specific advice and help determine the type of pine you have here.

Certainly looks like some kind of pest damage.

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Doesn't look like ponderosa to me. Would you mind filling in your profile? Might go a long way in getting location specific advice and help determine the type of pine you have here.

Certainly looks like some kind of pest damage.

DOH - thought I did that previously. I live in Southwest Washington state.

Maybe lodgepole pine?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Borers

Not a larch like Nick Lenz uses for an example, but he says, bag it and bomb it. After sticking needles or small wire in to spear them wrap the tree up in a big plastic bag and spray in raid, close the bag up for a day to give em the vapors.

You can check to see it works by giving the tree a good shower with the hose then check in the morning for more sawdust.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done the "bag and bomb" thing with an old boxwood--although I soaked cotton balls in termite spray and stuffed those into the holes with tweezers--THEN wrapped in plastic wrap for 24 hours--8 of those was in the sun--did the trick.

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very cool! I will try this here in the next few days. Thanks! :)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The garden variety looks good, and wire would probably work better than a needle, it'll kind of turn the corner a bit to get to the little buggers.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That stuff probably isn't going to be strong enough to get your bugs. I'd use something aimed at wood-eating insects--like carpenter ant/termite sprays or concentrates...

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I already bought the Home and Garden RAID. :eek:

I ran over the tree with a toothbrush and water spray to clean off all the pine dust deposits and could not find any holes deep enough to hold beetles it seemed with my wire... probed them all. I let the tree air dry. Sprayed the trunk and then bagged it and fogged it. Will let this sit over night and pull the bag and watch for new pine dust deposits.

If I see any, I'll look to get a differnent type of spray.

Thanks for the replies.

Mike - yes - five needles with a white line down the back. A quick google images search confirms this. Thanks!

Will this tree backbud on newer wood?

somegeek

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mike - yes - five needles with a white line down the back. A quick google images search confirms this. Thanks!

Will this tree backbud on newer wood?

somegeek[/QUOTE]

I've only had one and they will backbud if growing strongly,(healthy) then cut back, but they are very rangy, with long internodes, and when heathy, the needles are pretty long. Might work with a tall graceful tree but I gave up.
Good luck,
Mike

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You cannot kill borers with surface spray, period. Spraying the surface and wrapping it won't get the job done. The poison isn't concentrated enough and doesn't penetrate the burrows adequately. You need to stuff insecticide soaked plugs into the holes as far in as possible--then wrap. Leave it for 24 hours--8 hours in the sun would help things along--as it helps move the vapors deeper into the holes.. I've done this with borer infested collected cherry and apple. It works.

Don't think the burrow ends where you wire stops. Typically borers chew irregular holes, with right angle turns. Sometimes, you have to tear the hole down the tree, ripping off bark, to get at the little beggers. If you fumigate with the plugs, this might not be necessary.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't think you ever get over finding grubs in the trunk,even after you remove them they live on in your memory and cause shudders.

Top Bottom