before & after of this shinpaku i worked on, lmk what yall think? practicing my wiring

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Like what I'm seeing. Can you cut the pot down to the soil line, and can you make sure you uncover as much of the surface roots as possible (without repotting)? It is hard to really understand the design of the tree unless you can see the whole thing from the roots up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
Like what I'm seeing. Can you cut the pot down to the soil line, and can you make sure you uncover as much of the surface roots as possible (without repotting)? It is hard to really understand the design of the tree unless you can see the whole thing from the roots up.
yeah you're absolutely right I should've done that, thanks alot though man forreal

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I caught the nursery walkthrough.

I like that you seem to be aspiring to be CJ man the 3rd!

I remember thinking "boosted bonsai" was going to make people think you're the one thieving shit!

It's pretty clear you have the skills avoid that, though I probably was the only one was ever gonna think that.

@bonsaibp recently posted the thread about the Ben Oki scholarship.
I believe there is a level one must be at in order for that scholarship to actually benefit the entire bonsai community beyond the requirements just after putting it to use.
I feel like you're on that level.

I appreciate the folks that have tried to urge me to apply, but I know I am not the guy who can utilize it to it's greatest value like that. So I'd like to put that urging your way.

Best.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
I caught the nursery walkthrough.

I like that you seem to be aspiring to be CJ man the 3rd!

I remember thinking "boosted bonsai" was going to make people think you're the one thieving shit!

It's pretty clear you have the skills avoid that, though I probably was the only one was ever gonna think that.

@bonsaibp recently posted the thread about the Ben Oki scholarship.
I believe there is a level one must be at in order for that scholarship to actually benefit the entire bonsai community beyond the requirements just after putting it to use.
I feel like you're on that level.

I appreciate the folks that have tried to urge me to apply, but I know I am not the guy who can utilize it to it's greatest value like that. So I'd like to put that urging your way.

Best.

Sorce

nice bro hope u liked it & idk about that haha but I def want something like it on a much smaller scale u feel me
lmao nah boosted was because I have a boosted (turboed) car but changed my name because I might sell it & won't be boosted anymore ): lol
also I think I saw that Ben Oki one on Facebook & honestly i really appreciate what ur saying forreal bro real shit 💯 but I feel really blessed to be studying under some1 now & feel like someone else can maybe use that better than I can u feel me?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like that low ass branch but the one parallel just above it think would probably swing around to the back and one above that bring down to compliment the low...only thoughts there.
good things
thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
I like that low ass branch but the one parallel just above it think would probably swing around to the back and one above that bring down to compliment the low...only thoughts there.
good things
thanks
yeah the branch on the left that's all the way down low is too low will be cut off, then move things accordingly

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
nice bro hope u liked it & idk about that haha but I def want something like it on a much smaller scale u feel me
lmao nah boosted was because I have a boosted (turboed) car but changed my name because I might sell it & won't be boosted anymore ): lol
also I think I saw that Ben Oki one on Facebook & honestly i really appreciate what ur saying forreal bro real shit 💯 but I feel really blessed to be studying under some1 now & feel like someone else can maybe use that better than I can u feel me?
You can use the money to continue studying with your current teacher no need to change - apply it certainly can't hurt.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Several things:
  1. You need to get the rim down on that pot ....and probably dig a little deeper to find where the trunk ends.
  2. Copper wire holds movement that aluminum will not allow. (Even thick aluminum. Try it. It will change what's possible.)
  3. Copper wire fades into the background and isn't as jarring visually as the black of aluminum. (The black eventually fades and its even MORE jarring.)
  4. Your branch angles are all over the place, especially low on the trunk. (See also 1,5)
  5. You say you didn't want to trim anything off so you'd have more wiring practice ...but cleaning a tree of unnecessary branches and performing branch selection is part of wiring ...and makes the wiring go faster/easier. (See also, 1,4)
  6. I'm all bro'd and fam'd up for a while.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10?
Several things:
  1. You need to get the rim down on that pot ....and probably dig a little deeper to find where the trunk ends.
  2. Copper wire holds movement that aluminum will not allow. (Even thick aluminum. Try it. It will change what's possible.)
  3. Copper wire fades into the background and isn't as jarring visually as the black of aluminum. (The black eventually fades and its even MORE jarring.)
  4. Your branch angles are all over the place, especially low on the trunk. (See also 1,5)
  5. You say you didn't want to trim anything off so you'd have more wiring practice ...but cleaning a tree of unnecessary branches and performing branch selection is part of wiring ...and makes the wiring go faster/easier. (See also, 1,4)
  6. I'm all bro'd and fam'd up for a while.
yeah I should've opened up the pot a bit more
as for the copper wire I haven't even used it once before I kinda wanna learn how to wire right before I get to copper
& I did clean the tree up, the beginning of video is after I cleaned it up after the before picture on here
🤣 🤣 my bad trust me people have told me I need to talk more mm mature I guess u can say lol but shit it's hard trying to talk like u dont haha,, we out here tho mayne

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You say you didn't want to trim anything off so you'd have more wiring practice ...but cleaning a tree of unnecessary branches and performing branch selection is part of wiring ...and makes the wiring go faster/easier. (See also, 1,4)
& I did clean the tree up, the beginning of video is after I cleaned it up after the before picture on here

<-- Right here (+~10 seconds) you talk about wanting to wire everything.

I'm all bro'd and fam'd up for a while.
🤣 🤣 my bad trust me people have told me I need to talk more mm mature I guess u can say lol but shit it's hard trying to talk like u dont haha,, we out here tho mayne
Don't pay me too much attention, ...but I don't even know what "we out here tho mayne" even means.

Top Bottom