Before and After - advice?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey again guys!
So I finally bit the bullet and pruned my first (pre)bonsai. I've just been collecting plants, studying them and learning as much as I could before I actually got my hands dirty. So here is my satsuki azalea I've pruned. I don't know if I'm going to wire it, if anyone has any suggestions for that I'd love to hear em.
I just wanted to get your guys' opinions on how you think I did with pruning to this little plants full potential and if any more should be done. I almost feel like I overdid it, that there's no trunk or foliage in the very middle of the tree, but I followed to advice of pruning branches growing straight up, straight down, growing inwards, which resulted in empty space in the center. But ya, let me know what you guys think,
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    296.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0387.JPG
    IMG_0387.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    302.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0395.JPG
    IMG_0395.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 92

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your good. This will be common practice for a few years as you get better branches and the canopy develops. Don't rush it and just keep working it over the years. Time will be your friend.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Following directions like that on pruning is pretty safe and should be quite effective design wise.
Especially after you get your next branches and start figuring out the quirks!

They all look ugly after good work!

Well done.

Just watch those spots with 3 or more branches out at the tips, they can bulge up perma-ugly...

This should throw interior buds, in spring, you'll likely cut all those tips off anyway so no worries now..,

But in spring, cut back to 2's....

There are good Satsuki calenders out there.
A pretty specific schedule.
Just beware of the tree's state! Not dates!

Sorce

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice!
I hacked back a satsuki real hard this year too.
It should grow back well.
Like sorce said, I always make sure to take all branch junctions down to 2 branches.... 3 or more will begin to cause a bulge, and reverse taper in your branch.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice.

Following directions like that on pruning is pretty safe and should be quite effective design wise.
Especially after you get your next branches and start figuring out the quirks!

They all look ugly after good work!

Well done.

Just watch those spots with 3 or more branches out at the tips, they can bulge up perma-ugly...

This should throw interior buds, in spring, you'll likely cut all those tips off anyway so no worries now..,

But in spring, cut back to 2's....

There are good Satsuki calenders out there.
A pretty specific schedule.
Just beware of the tree's state! Not dates!

Sorce
Thank you. Ya I just couldn't decide with of the 3 to cut, I couldn't decide which direction I wanted it to fill in, but I didn't even think of the bulge it would cause to leave in, looks like I'll be doing a couple more snip snips.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice!
I hacked back a satsuki real hard this year too.
It should grow back well.
Like sorce said, I always make sure to take all branch junctions down to 2 branches.... 3 or more will begin to cause a bulge, and reverse taper in your branch.
Thanks! The junctions that still have the 3 branches were the ones I just couldn't make a decision on direction, it was a close call so I thought I would just leave them to grow out and see which one I liked. But you make a good point on the reverse taper, better not to risk that as I think that's a bit harder to correct lol.
I also used something called pruning sealant, cuz I've read it's good to use that on big cuts, but it smells like something I'd use to kill a thing, not help it heal! Is that the right thing to use?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks! The junctions that still have the 3 branches were the ones I just couldn't make a decision on direction, it was a close call so I thought I would just leave them to grow out and see which one I liked. But you make a good point on the reverse taper, better not to risk that as I think that's a bit harder to correct lol.
I also used something called pruning sealant, cuz I've read it's good to use that on big cuts, but it smells like something I'd use to kill a thing, not help it heal! Is that the right thing to use?
I use a thin coating of sealant on large cuts too.
This stuff...
81g-4TEXbKL._SX355_.jpg
But you can use almost anything for sealing cuts.....Elmer's glue, duct sealant, plumber's putty.....

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This stuff...
View attachment 153932
But you can use almost anything for sealing cuts.....Elmer's glue, duct sealant, plumber's putty.....

I also use this. Highly recommend. It came highly recommended from a more experienced friend also.
I'm in UK and could get it, so it's available world wide.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This stuff...
View attachment 153932

I use the same product - particularly on azaleas and maples.

Top Bottom