Before and After Decandleing JBP

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I posted these pics over at IBC a week or so ago and in case someone here hadn't seen them over there, I thought I would also post them here. In the early spring I had no idea the candles would push out this much growth this year. I had a bad spring as far as rain goes so I can't say they benefited from that. I did fertilize good though and gave them as much water as they needed. Gosh, a few of them almost look like a Chia plant before the work was done. They are now putting out good healthy new buds so I'm now looking forward to the fall work. :)

If you have some JBP that you recently decandled, don't be shy, post them here.;)

Attachments

• post1.jpg
    post1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 182
  • post2.jpg
    post2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 167
  • post3.jpg
    post3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 170
  • post4.jpg
    post4.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 170

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice, Thomas...excellent pines!

Here are a few photos of a BP candle-cutting series on a tree I have been documenting over the last 3 years. I started a little earlier this year than I normally would, so it will be interesting to track the effect...hopefully the needles aren't going to be too long, but with the density increasing, I think it will be ok.

This winter, I'll be sharing a 2-year transformation on another pine I've been developing; I am particularly looking forward to fall work on this one

Attachments

• Last Fall.jpg
    Last Fall.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Before .jpg
    Before .jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Phase 1 after.jpg
    Phase 1 after.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Phase 2 after.jpg
    Phase 2 after.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Phase 3 after.jpg
    Phase 3 after.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 138

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good work Brian,
I especially like the first pic even if it was last fall. Good that your making a pictorial record of your work. I'll be waiting to see the other one you mentioned.

I'm somewhat new to JBPs having only been working with them for three years now, but I picked up a couple of two and three year old seedlings that have been somewhat trained and I'm hoping to get at least two cascades out of them. Of course we're talking years of work here, and I only hope they'll finish out before I do.:D

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys for posting the pictures. Brian, I especially love your powerpoint showing the work you've done on this tree over the years - it really helped crystalize the what and how of JBP techniques.

I decandled a couple of JBPs this year, and have been pleased to see plenty of new buds opening up. Pretty neat to see in person that the techniques work.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I decandled a couple of JBPs this year, and have been pleased to see plenty of new buds opening up. Pretty neat to see in person that the techniques work.

Let's see some photos!!!

Thanks Thomas and mcpescq817. The last fall photo is good, and I think it will be even better this fall after pruning and re-wiring...looking forward to it!

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm somewhat new to JBPs having only been working with them for three years now,

I'm relatively new to JBPs too. I have a question for you though. I've read that it isn't good to candle cut Shohin JBP every year and that it should only be done every other year, especially on older trees. What do you think about this? I've always thought that if you feed a JBP enough you could do it ever year no matter what "size" classification it falls under.

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Ryan,
I've never heard that before, but then again when it comes to JBPs there seems to be a few different ways people are being taught, especially to decandeling. One of the trees I've shown here was not decandeled last year because it came down with chlorosis the previous fall. You must keep an eye out as to the health of the tree and you use this as a basis for whether or not to decandle.

By the way I was able to overcome the chlorosis when I read somewhere that shohin JBP don't tolerate very small containers very well and must be given chelated iron without reservation quite often. I put the tree into a bit deeper container and used the iron and was really surprised to see it come back as good as it did. The tree was completely yellow and I thought for sure it was goner; my favorite shohin too.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice trees as usual Thomas.

keep it green,
Harry

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Thomas! I'll have to keep the tip about the iron in mind.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Just for the record, I mist with it about twice a week.

keep it green,
Harry

camikins

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Harry,

What brand do you use? And do you still apply fertilizer on a standard schedule, or do you adjust if you also apply the chelated iron spray?

E.G. If I feed bi-weekly with liquid organic fert, do I still apply the spray twice weekly?

Thanks
Cam

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just for the record, continue to fertilize on the schedule you have been. Adding the iron at whatever interval will have no effect on fertilizer and usually states this on the bottle. The iron is just an added nutrient.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Harry,

What brand do you use? And do you still apply fertilizer on a standard schedule, or do you adjust if you also apply the chelated iron spray?

E.G. If I feed bi-weekly with liquid organic fert, do I still apply the spray twice weekly?

Thanks
Cam

It really doesn't matter any liquid will work, don't look for miracles overnight, it works slowly, but you will notice a difference and Thomas is right, chelated iron won't help your tree grow, just turn it a darker, healthy looking green.

keep it green,
Harry

Top Bottom