Before and After Sierra J

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Back to reality and the normal work grind for me after a wonderful weekend of doing nothing but playing with small trees and hanging out with other Bonsai folk actually in person at a club workshop. Nothing against my online Bonsai folk friends, but it is nice to discuss Bonsai face to face on occasion;)

This is a Sierra Juniper I collected 2-3 years ago. The roots were long and skinny. I coiled them into this Anderson flat, however maybe I should have built a custom box to fit the roots shape but after multiple days of hiking, collecting, driving and boxing trees up I decided to just go for it and coil the roots into this flat.

image_zps78bee611.jpg

Kind of differnt feature is this chunk of granite stuck in the trunk, would you keep it or remove it?
image_zpsd602e790.jpg

What type of pot do you imagine?

One really cool part about this weekend was the fact that I got to meet Matt Reel. Matt just returned from almost 8 years apprenticing under Shinji Suzuki one of the top Bonsai Pro's in Japan. I got to see Matt wire and style a few trees and his work is absolutely phenomenal! He’s a super cool guy, very down to earth, humble but confident, approachable and extremely talented. He’s back in the US and I’m extremely glad http://reelbonsai.wordpress.com/

image_zps3c068d3f.jpg

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
Love it!

Do you know how the roots look like. Looks like they're probably one sided. Gonna be tough getting that tree in a smaller pot

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Outstanding work! Shinji Suzuki, in my opinion, is one of the greatest bonsai artists we have today. Well, I guess it is more than just my opinion. He won, I think it's called, the Prime Ministers prize, for his needle juniper with all the small, well manicured pads. Definitely one of the greatest bonsai in existence.

Rob

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thank for the comments and suggestions, yes I agree Mr. Suzuki is on the highest level. Excited to have Matt's influence in the U.S.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice. I would keep the granite piece.

For pot, I see an unglazed deep rectangle with scalloped corners. Need to "comb over" some roots to the right though.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I love this juni...tons of potential...and the best is the rock in the trunk...lots of character...Have you seen how chinese embed stones in trunks?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I have not seen them Neli, have any pictures? Poink I like the idea of an unglazed rec. thank you both for the comments!!!

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I have pictures...but it is hard to find them...I am going to look for you...I have over 100000 pictures.
Finally after an hour...
It is called Bonsai-tren-da-hinh
And they are very expensive.

Attachments

• Bonsai-tren-da-hinh-5-630x523.jpg
    Bonsai-tren-da-hinh-5-630x523.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Bonsai-tren-da-hinh-11-549x588.jpg
    Bonsai-tren-da-hinh-11-549x588.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 28
  • gtt-2.jpg
    gtt-2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 28

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Neli, I like that last picture with the trident a lot! Interesting stone, never seen anything like that before.

Top Bottom