Before and after trunk cleaning

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Decided to clean the trunk on this tree. Such a big difference.
Before cleaning.
20180127_141555.jpg
After cleaning, sanding.
20180204_151802.jpg
20180204_165420.jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What did you clean it with?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great.
Thanks @AZbonsai This juniper was almost dead in 2016. Crispy foliage and was just about gone. Left it alone all of last year. Will let it grow out another before working on it.
This is what it looked like at one point. It got worse but I stopped taking pictures of it because I thought it was a goner. I lost the back branch and I'm moving the front one back to fill in the gap. This also opens the front more.
20170121_100740 (Small).jpg

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a juniper that could be cleaned up as well. I worry about damage to the tree if I take the bark off? Is that something I should worry about?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a juniper that could be cleaned up as well. I worry about damage to the tree if I take the bark off? Is that something I should worry about?
Its ok to flake off the loose pieces. It just depends on what you want the trunk to look like. Some remove all the flaky bark then sand and clean the live vein for a smooth reddish finish. Can look very clean this way. I left a lot of flaky bark on.

The bark is pretty tough on this tree. I started with a nylon brush then switched to a brass to get the look I wanted. Just start slow until it looks the way you want.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. Is there any certain time of year to tackle that?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. Is there any certain time of year to tackle that?
I usually clean trunks as needed. Most of mine get cleaned about twice a year. The juniper hasn't been cleaned for over a year. You can clean them up any time. Some trees like Brazilian raintrees have very thin bark and must be cleaned carefully but junipers are pretty tough. Good to try a small spot on the back if your not comfortable and then go from there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
certain time of year

It's in the Fall or Winter Mirai stream...

Supposed to be fall I reckon, and it's as much to check for borers, and remove their breeding grounds, as it is for aesthetics.

You're supposed to use a dull knife so I made a couple ergonomic "dull knives" that I want folks to try out....20180122_122343.jpg20180122_122359.jpg

These are all in California....but I'm making more.....looking for guinea pigs....free till they aint!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
and it's as much to check for borers, and remove their breeding grounds,

Sorce

This ... flaky bark is home to bad bugs

Be careful doing this

Those little wood carving tool kits from michaels work well

They also have palm bark there , great for branch bending ! Cheap

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't do a thing to the bark on any tree.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is how it looks after its dried out. Looking forward to working on this tree.
20180208_205407 (1).jpg

Top Bottom