Before and after...

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This is an example of what a true master can accomplish in eight hours using new unstyled material.
Every branch on this tree was wired.

Harry

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0054.JPG
    IMG_0054.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC00930.jpg
    DSC00930.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 134

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an example of what a true master can accomplish in eight hours using new unstyled material.
Every branch on this tree was wired.

Harry

Every branch is not a good enough description: "every twig" is a more correct way to put it.

That's why so many great bonsai never live up to the potential. People wire the primary branches, but they don't wire the secondary ones. As soon as all the secondary branches are wired, and the pads are thinned out, the tree looks top notch.

There is no shortcut, and it's a tremendous amount of work. I never liked spending hours and hours with wiring, but I love the outcome once I am done.

The good news is that after the wires take, and the secondary branches are in place, the tree can be maintained many years by just pinching and thinning.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Killer Juniper Harry!

So when you say true master I am assuming you hired Kirby to come work on your trees, haha!!!! I know, it was Marco and you are right, he does amazing work.

Very nice outcome.

Jason

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
First I'd like to say thanks for starting a thread that's bonsai related. I've been trying to do the same thing but not many people seem interested in those lately.

That's a terrific tree. I love shimpakus and I've started wiring mine the same way ever since I've discovered copper wire a few months ago. (I knew about it but never tried it before)

So how long did it take to wire the whole tree? I find that it takes me a couple hours just to wire a shohin.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Such a lovely tree. Can I say something? Thanks! It is a little gin happy. The two deadwood spires pushing through the delicately wired foliage canopy are too contrasting or opposing in quality in my tiny mind . Couple of hours of carving, splitting, ripping and rubbing could do miracles.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Ya got me again Jason, I'll take a fresh picture after this years growth to show you how it's looking now.

Harry

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Such a lovely tree. Can I say something? Thanks! It is a little gin happy. The two deadwood spires pushing through the delicately wired foliage canopy are too contrasting or opposing in quality in my tiny mind . Couple of hours of carving, splitting, ripping and rubbing could do miracles.

Now that the folliage has filled out quite a bit, it looks a lot better, I'll post a new picture tomorrow.

Harry

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
Yes, that's the way to do it! Marco "the spammer", knows how it's don!:p
Harry you have a winner here and with some more (fun) detail work on the deadwood, it will be a absolutely stunning Bonsai, well don!!!:D
Hans van Meer.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
For KK as promised !

Here are some pictures taken this morning, as you can see the tree is growing well, it will require a repot this winter, because as you can plainly see, it's grown 2"above the soil line exposing some ugly roots. The carving has begun, but some more will be done this spring, we ran out of time last year.I will post some pictures after this years work is done.

Harry

Attachments

• DSC01364.JPG
    DSC01364.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC01365.JPG
    DSC01365.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC01366.JPG
    DSC01366.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 60

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the effort. Nice foliage addition. Your horticulture skills get an A+. May I make a design remark? Well..... I am going to anyway. I am still feeling the 'tuning fork' thing. The gin spire at the apex has softened via needle block but the lower left one needs the old tooth abstraction technique. Carve an hour glass shape nice n low. Then tie a string to the top of the bloody gin and to the door knob. Toss down a jigger of your favorite fire water then slam the door shut.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
I actually don't mind that Jin the way it is. I guess it's more a question of taste.

So what kind of pot are you thinking about? same pot but different angle and front or something different?

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
If you notice the picture is taken about 15% off center which will be the new front. It will be repoted in a different, but still a rectangle pot. I will use my own soil mix. it's still in the soil mix it was in when I bought it. I will make suggestions about the jin but ultimately Marco will tell me to set down and shut up. :D
Because of where I live I buy all of my trees from pictures, not the best way, but I can live with it because I trust the guys I deal with. I'm posting the picture of the tree I purchased it by, would you have bought it from this picture ?

Harry

Attachments

• 1_multipart_xF8FF_3_pp12.jpg
    1_multipart_xF8FF_3_pp12.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 62

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes I would have bought it for that picture. Knowing who you bought it from I know it wasn't cheap but I also know it is quality. So, you either buy cheap and don't have a killer collection or you spend the money, buy great stock and end up with a much better collection. Good buy Harry, and knowing too that Marco already knew this tree helps you make a good decision.

Excellent job on covering your bases!

Jason

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thought I'd throw in a couple of pictures of what I consider interesting deadwood on a shimpaku in a similar style. I agree the deadwood on the original tree needs work, but we're talking thinning and refinement - the core design is all there.

dead1.jpg

dead2.jpg

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
OK, I've got to ask,Tanuki ? It dosen't matter, it's still a nice tree.

Harry

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
OK, I've got to ask,Tanuki ? It dosen't matter, it's still a nice tree.

I don't know - the auction listing didn't say. I wondered the same thing myself - especially the way the live veins on the front looked a little bit like root over rock instead of natural growth that followed the line of the tree. If I had to guess, I would say tanuki.

Top Bottom