Begginer on Bonsai

scareecrow

Seed
Reaction score
Hello

Yesterday I received a bonsai as a gift, but I have no idea how to treat It, my experience with plants It's zero.

I don't know the species and age too, can someone identifie It ?

And I would like to know how to take care of my bonsai, I live In Portugal (North) If that matters.

The bonsai brought a etiquette with some instructions:
Localization: 3 hours of direct sunlight.
Watering: heavily, but let It dry a little bit between watering.
Fertilizer and Booster( I can't translate the name, It's something to make the plant stronger): From February to November (Booster, all the year when in Interior)
Transplant: Every 2 years

25fiwkh.jpg

6gvos3.jpg

rw3qfr.jpg

2me0dc.jpg

One final question, Can I grow a cherry blossom(sakura) In portugal?

Thanks In advance and sorry for my english!

Last edited:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there,
The small withe 'fur' on the leaves and the bark on the branches make me think that it is some kind of azalea.

Otherwise first advice: it will certainly be better outside.
The fact that you are in Portugal is important, nice weather out there, except real tropical species all kind of bonsai would be better outside.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
No. It is a Fukien Tea (Carmona micropyllia), and temperatures below 50f are harmful. They are a notoriously disappointing bonsai outside their indigenous, tropical area. Good luck.

Last edited:

scareecrow

Seed
Reaction score
No. It is a Fukien Tea (Carmona micropyllia), and temperatures below 50f are harmful. They are a notoriously disappointing bonsai outside their indigenous, tropical area. Good luck.

Why do you say that they are disappointing?

Should I keep her inside then?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree with Brian, that is fukien tea.

With your heavily organic soil, you may not need to water this more than twice a week (maybe less). They love hot weather and lots of filtered (indirect) sun. I keep mine out until temp is below 40*F.

I just checked Portugal's average annual temperature and your tree should be fine outside year round. :)

Good luck!

Last edited:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok fukien tea, didn't know.
The leaves sounded a little too thick to be an azalea though, that's why I just said 'make me think to'... :)

Normally the climate in Portugal should be fine for outside (40 F is 4.44444 Celsius so if some T lower than 5 C are expected it will always be possible to bring it back inside the time the weather goes back to normal).

scareecrow

Seed
Reaction score
Ok I will keep It outside all day, and at night inside, because It becomes cold.

So, should I use any kind of fertilizers?

When should I trim It?

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My fukien tea is inside for the winter, but as soon as temps stay above 50 both day and night i will put it outside for the summer. I clip and grow my tree, and dont wire it at all. The person that had it before me used wire and you can tell they didnt take it off in time, because it has wire marks on the trunk. Hopefully one day they will go away. Inside i water every 3 days, because i have fast draining soil. I fertilize every 3 weeks.

Rick

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For the time being let it get healthy. It really looks to be weak, the leaves are kind of dull and curled at the edges while others seem to have been eaten on by something. I would keep an eye on it, it needs to be a bit drier than it is right now. The soil its in really looks like mud but being weak you do not want to repot it. They do not like to be totally dry, but they need to dry down so air can get to the roots to prevent root rot. They also need decent light but not be scorched, these are very particular plants so good luck with it.

ed

Top Bottom