Beginner and her Monterey Cypress

Reaction score
I purchased this Monterey Cypress tree this weekend and would LOVE to find my peace and challenge myself to make this a bonsai tree. I’ve read so many things and don’t know where to start. I’d like it to get bigger a little and the branches are still little. Do I repot? And start training?
I am a beginner!

Attachments

• 40EE09BB-0958-4023-AD2D-69FA2CDA3DBD.jpeg
    40EE09BB-0958-4023-AD2D-69FA2CDA3DBD.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 58

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My opinion is no good, as I am a begginer as well.
All I can tell you is that I did (in january) what you´re asking to...... Repotted in a shallow pot, pruned and wired. It´s cute, but it has no future.....I mean, I will have to repot in a wider container and be patient. I guess the best option is to observe it and learn how to grow it.....and in the next season you´ll be able to take informed decissions....
IMG_20210508_183829__01.jpg

I regret

Reaction score
My opinion is no good, as I am a begginer as well.
All I can tell you is that I did (in january) what you´re asking to...... Repotted in a shallow pot, pruned and wired. It´s cute, but it has no future.....I mean, I will have to repot in a wider container and be patient. I guess the best option is to observe it and learn how to grow it.....and in the next season you´ll be able to take informed decissions....
View attachment 376925

I regret
Thank you. I was thinking about leaving it for now to watch it grow more. But un decided to repot right away because I read about changing the soil could cause it to have damage.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is what I bought back in December: (about 20€ )

IMG_20201129_151231 (1).jpg

I was eager to begin "doing". Also I was risking almost nothing.
I went to internet to discover the details involved.
So I styled , repotted and wired two of them:
IMG_20210405_195415.jpgIMG_20210405_195404.jpg

and the 3 remaining went to make a little forest:

IMG_20210407_105728.jpg

Not too proud of the results, but they did not die (at least till now), and now I know many things you can´t learn in the internet.
What I try to say, is that if you´re wanting to do something, maybe you should try, but be sure you manage well the timing, the health of the trees, and also that you have understood what is involved in the repotting and wiring.....
"Doing" in my case, is way better than standing in the fence and feel bonsai is an unreachable art.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
This is what I bought back in December: (about 20€ )

View attachment 376979

I was eager to begin "doing". Also I was risking almost nothing.
I went to internet to discover the details involved.
So I styled , repotted and wired two of them:
View attachment 376980View attachment 376981

and the 3 remaining went to make a little forest:

View attachment 376982

Not too proud of the results, but they did not die (at least till now), and now I know many things you can´t learn in the internet.
What I try to say, is that if you´re wanting to do something, maybe you should try, but be sure you manage well the timing, the health of the trees, and also that you have understood what is involved in the repotting and wiring.....
"Doing" in my case, is way better than standing in the fence and feel bonsai is an unreachable art.
Those horses are going to starve in there!;)

Top Bottom