Beginner Chinese Elm advice

griffinv989

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have just bought a young chinese elm from a nursery a couple weeks ago. It has continued to lose more leaves yet the tree is not completely bare yet. I just noticed some light green buds along some of the branches. I was wondering when do you think I should re-pot and when should I start fertilizing?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In some cases trees lose leaves as they are supposed to, and sometimes they lose leaves when they've been stressed but come out of it okay, and other times it is a sign of imminent death. If there are buds coming on a elm that's a good thing. The elms where I live are starting to bud out so I am hurriedly repotting before they leaf out.

Photos would be helpful.

Duhend

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I bought my first Chinese Elm 2 falls ago and at the urging of the great people here I left it indoors over the winter and it lost leaves and looked pitiful for a large part of the winter. It did restart pushing buds like yours and grew like a weed all last season. A large part of why it is doing what is doing is more than likely that it is stressed out. Are you keeping it indoors, was it kept indoors before. It says it is an indoor plant but it isn't. How it was kept before can have a large impact on what its doing right now.

These guys grow fast and furious so I would do my best to be attentive to it and wait it out. This will be my first year keeping my two Elms not inside but in a cold wind protected vestibule and I find that I'm just as worried now as I was this time last year.

They are very resilient. As for potting I would do as stated before, its great advice.

Top Bottom