Beginner Collecting Tips?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
So I've been interested in collecting yamadori and I have collected a few. However, I have my favorites still in the ground due to me being nervous to kill them. This season I'm planning to collect a few and try to fully understand the basics. Keep in mind that I'm only gonna be collecting blueberry and pitch pine. Is there any tips for starters that are gonna start to collect more?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The best tip I have is to have soil components in excess, and wood enough to build pots on the fly.

Good modes of transport can be a world of difference too. I went into the wild with a backpack and I have left one plant behind in the past because it didn't fit.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The best tip I have is to have soil components in excess, and wood enough to build pots on the fly.

Good modes of transport can be a world of difference too. I went into the wild with a backpack and I have left one plant behind in the past because it didn't fit.
GREAT advice!

Bring SAWS!!! And gloves.

Also... make sure your "permission" is all in order...

Around here, that LAST one, when overlooked can result in being chased with a 4-10 (he/she only shot in the air) on ATV Off of a farmer's land!

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Also, watch your terms, NJ.

I, personally, don't CARE... but those really "fancy" Bonsai Guys do.

They'll ask, "Is it from the mountains?"

Then, through bickering, we'll arrive on the consensus that "from the WILD" is an acceptable classification of "Yamadori"... but the "fancy" Bonsai folks will still be grumbling under their breath.

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I Just call it "Tree Hunting"...

No one car argue.. or confuse the ACTUAL point, then

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Also, watch your terms, NJ.

I, personally, don't CARE... but those really "fancy" Bonsai Guys do.

They'll ask, "Is it from the mountains?"

Then, through bickering, we'll arrive on the consensus that "from the WILD" is an acceptable classification of "Yamadori"... but the "fancy" Bonsai folks will still be grumbling under their breath.

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I Just call it "Tree Hunting"...

No one car argue.. or confuse the ACTUAL point, then
Well if they want to be so fancy they shouldn't be reading stuff that I write ๐Ÿ˜‚. Also where most of the trees that I collect are on a hill/mountain.

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
On a recent tread, I think it was about collecting junipers. It was some kind of mountain species someone gave the advice (and everyone seemed to agree) that you should do three things:
Pott the freshly collected plants in pumice
Don't water them too much and
Keep them out of the wind.
I do not know if that applies to other species but would love to hear everyone's suggestions. I mostly collect oaks, Yaupon hollies, sand pines and just southern varieties. I don't use pumice but do use a well draining substrate similar to bonsai jacks mix. I'm especially interested in the "don't water too much" part. I've been watering my stuff every day.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
For collecting. A sawโ€ฆhand or cordless reciprocating (this can be heavy to carry along though but it sure makes root cutting much easier). I use the saw to cut around the area first in a circle. Then I can wiggle the trunk and see what needs further cutting. Iโ€™ve brought along a few plastic bags or burlap bags to tightly wrap and secure a root ball (even if most of the soil falls off I still wrap to preserve moisture and prevent further damage when moving around). And I have some water, a few bottles, to moisten the roots after pulling them outโ€ฆ.or for me to simply drink.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
What we can get away with when collecting seems to vary depending on species, collecting location, time of year, climate and a whole lot of other factors. To me this seems to have spawned a whole load of myths about how and when. Much of what we read seems to be only part true.
Note that pitch pine is not a species I have access to so I have no direct experience with it.

In general I've found that:
keeping field soil is not necessary.
Roots can be shortened much more than often indicated.
Most deciduous can be cut back hard above ground at the same time as dig.
Conifers seem to survive better if at least some active, healthy growing tips are retained.
Collected trees always seem to be far bigger and heavier than you estimated. Maybe they expand when the soil is removed? Having some larger pots available or ready to construct seems to be a good plan.
Lateral roots are easy to find and cut. Its the last few vertical roots right down under the trunk that require 90% of the effort.
Collected trees always weigh far more than anticipated. Any soil on the roots only multiplies the weight. Allow for this when deciding which trees to dig and where you dig. Some friends with large muscles and smaller brains can be a great asset for tree collectors.
Roots dry out much slower than most people imagine. Most of my collected trees sit in the back of the truck, often in sun and sometimes for a few hours and don't seem to suffer unduly.
Immediate potting up does not seem to be essential. I've 'heeled in' collected trees in damp soil or left to soak in water for a day or 2 at times when I did not have all the necessary pots, soil, etc ready and as many of those recovered as well as those that were potted up immediately as usually recommended.
Every site will have its challenges and require different techniques. Clay soils can be difficult to dig. The shovel is often useless in rocky sites and a crow bar can be more useful. Steep sites can yield great trees but if it is difficult to stand upright it is far more difficult to dig.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
How do most people take care of Yamadori after collection ? Keep in mind Iโ€™m mostly gonna be using 100% pumice and maybe some peat mixed in for blueberry

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I certainly agree with PSage...a small pick is extremely handy when collecting. You can cut a small ditch around a tree and then lift it out in some cases.

1645286447061.png

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
How do most people take care of Yamadori after collection ? Keep in mind Iโ€™m mostly gonna be using 100% pumice and maybe some peat mixed in for blueberry
I always keep a ratio OF the collection soil.. (I err on the side of cautious collection, these days)... Mixed with my standard, in-organic GROWTH mix.

I try to, essentially, shock the specimen as LITTLE as possible (trying to BARELY disturb fine "shin" roots) during collection and let it recover as MUCH as possible (this means leaving it the heck alone) the following growth season..

However.. if said tree exhibits INCREDIBLE health and vigor by mid-season.. I will
do some light-moderate work..

All the "heavy stuff" happens AFTER its "rebound season"..

I've killed a few trees operating... differently.

I DO know that blueberries have neat, specific fertilizer "likes".

@Leo in N E Illinois has Blueberry Fert (Or other acid-loving/balanced) blends that (I'm thinking) he was either INTEGRAL in the creation of, or SOLE creator of. (Not sure, we'll find out soon).. Seriously, though, If you are "into" horticulture... JUST how the nutrients are SOURCED in these blends will excite you. I believe they are used at UM.. but I can't remember.. exactly.

He has been known to offer these blends to us fine folk, at reasonable price...

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I always keep a ratio OF the collection soil.. (I err on the side of cautious collection, these days)... Mixed with my standard, in-organic GROWTH mix.

I try to, essentially, shock the specimen as LITTLE as possible (trying to BARELY disturb fine "shin" roots) during collection and let it recover as MUCH as possible (this means leaving it the heck alone) the following growth season..

However.. if said tree exhibits INCREDIBLE health and vigor by mid-season.. I will
do some light-moderate work..

All the "heavy stuff" happens AFTER its "rebound season"..

I've killed a few trees operating... differently.

I DO know that blueberries have neat, specific fertilizer "likes".

@Leo in N E Illinois has Blueberry Fert (Or other acid-loving/balanced) blends that (I'm thinking) he was either INTEGRAL in the creation of, or SOLE creator of. (Not sure, we'll find out soon).. Seriously, though, If you are "into" horticulture... JUST how the nutrients are SOURCED in these blends will excite you. I believe they are used at UM.. but I can't remember.. exactly.

He has been known to offer these blends to us fine folk, at reasonable price...
I've been been using his fertilizer for awhile and my trees/plants are very happy. Best winter I've had with them indoors.

hampton

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Collected trees always seem to be far bigger and heavier than you estimated. Maybe they expand when the soil is removed?
I imagine this is due to perspective in the ground. Thanks for the tip - good thing to keep in mind in the future, I have access to some land in NH to poke around on

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How soon after potting up a recently collected tree do you begin a fertilizer regimen? I use organic fertilizer.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
How soon after potting up a recently collected tree do you begin a fertilizer regimen? I use organic fertilizer.
They say not until you get some top growth, but there are lots or different opinions with this. Get prepared with the oxygen bottle close.:)

Top Bottom