Beginner conifer

Moonster

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals

I am looking to acquire a conifer to learn on an was hoping for some species suggestions. I am looking into mugo pines as they seem to be able to be worked on in july...and it is july :p. I have antsy hands and both of my other trees shown here (http://www.bonsainut.com/threads/crape-myrtles-and-burning-bush.23955/) are probably candidates for trunk chops in the early spring.

also, the nursery near me has some nice thunderheads, which I read back bud well which seems like it could be a relatively forgiving species to learn on. Any other suggestions for species?

Last edited:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Juniper are tough as nails (I'm my experience) they also offer good wiring practice.

Aaron

Moonster

Yamadori
Reaction score
So stupid question here: How do yall deal with all the prickly parts poking your fingers? do you wear gloves, or am I just a big baby?

Jester217300

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I'm allergic to junipers but I usually just power through it. A lot of people wear gloves when working with them. If you're sensitive to juvenile foliage it's the best way to protect yourself.

Moonster

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'm allergic to junipers but I usually just power through it. A lot of people wear gloves when working with them. If you're sensitive to juvenile foliage it's the best way to protect yourself.
Yea Im not allergic or anything, just dont like being pricked :p

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've found out some of your native conifers the easiest - Bald Cypress and Dawn Redwood are almost foolproof. English yew is other great species to start with. Junipers and pines are on the other side of my consideration, they can be slow and tricky.

No gloves when working with trees even in case of needle junipers. I need to feel the tree. I think there's many other species that can harm us more seriously and surprisingly - hawthorns, pyracanthas, chloes, acacias...

Moonster

Yamadori
Reaction score
I did specify "one of" the oldest, definitely not the oldest species around.

This is my newest one, a gift from my teacher. In training since '87.View attachment 110393
Aaron
ahh yes didnt mean to snip the quote there. and cool tree! didnt realize they were conifers until I did some reading about them. very cool 8)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So stupid question here: How do yall deal with all the prickly parts poking your fingers? do you wear gloves, or am I just a big baby?
What prickly parts?
Put wire on a barberry once. Junipers will feel like a babies bottom after that adventure. The thorns are as sharp as hypodermic needles. They go right in.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What prickly parts ...The thorns are as sharp as hypodermic needles. They go right in.
Yeah and it's always a little surgery if you have them deep under the skin. Sweet tender conifers...

Top Bottom