Beginner Ficus Help ID + Tips?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
:) Hello all,

I am brand new here and to bonsai, I appreciate any and all advice. In PNW - Vancouver, WA.

I’m hoping to identify this “oriental ficus” as the website and packaging had zero specifications.

What variety do you think? By size could you tell it’s age? Picture below.

Had it since Tuesday, it’s about 6” to top, 2” little Jin for reference.
It came with tiny fruits and it looks pretty nice, though I do wish to get it to a vigorous state before any initial work will be done.

*No chopping,drastic pruning/root pruning or wiring, for a year at least or until next true summer. Good idea?
**I will be transferring to a bigger ceramic pot this evening. Just a drop-in with a bit more soil.

D3A6B4C9-9781-4E04-B029-562936F26AB2.jpeg

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Ficus are notoriously hard to identify from just leaves. One of the key ID features of ficus is the 'osteole' - the entrance hole at the end of the fruit. Ficus do not often fruit as small trees in containers so you are in a good position to actually get an accurate ID.
Oriental ficus seems to be a term for a number of different species sold for bonsai.
Size cannot be a gauge for age. Well grown younger trees will be much bigger than a similar aged tree that has been poorly cared for for many years.

Most ficus are really resilient. It would probably cope well with some pruning but allowing it to adjust to the new conditions is a good idea. Ficus love lots of nutrients. It is hard to overfeed them but a little more care when they are indoors.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you Shibui,

I’ve added a pic below of the osteole - as close and defined as this vanilla iPad would allow.
Fellow ’Nuts and “honey hole” officials alike - any chance at a proper ID for this lil lady?

35F95C61-3019-44CB-8577-33CE8477C190.jpeg

Shibui, I do also appreciate your input on pruning a bit now and feeding more regularly. I will definitely do so - biweekly should do no?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Biweekly feeds not pruning haha - further I will say we have a very capable bonsainut on-site here so I am lucky he can intervene if I screw up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Top Bottom