Beginner Introduction

El Funko

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure if this is allowed or not, so if not I'll delete the thread.

I'm just beginning my foray into this new hobby. I've been doing some research for a while, and for Christmas I asked for some basic tools and the DK book. I've added a few additional tools, through acquisition from my father and from Tian Bonsai on Aliexpress. I've sent in my registration to International Bonsai for Bill's Spring class. So I guess you could say I'm "all in" I just need some trees!

My dad bought these shears in the 80s. He always wanted to get into Bonsai, but never actually grew any trees. He did collect a number of pots (we've both grown succulents for a very long time), and these shears. Not a brand that's well known (Shiragiku - White Chrysanthemum) He's passed, so they're all mine now.

shears.jpg

This winter I'm researching trees, styles, local resources, and especially my future winter plans. I'm in Syracuse, NY zone 5b (although I live on a hill above the city, so I may be 5a). I have an unheated (and un-windowed) garage at my disposal, as well as some outdoor semi-sheltered areas that I could use. I plan to focus on trees that will thrive in my climate, so I'm not sure yet how much protection they'll need. I put a thermometer in my garage in a spot that I could set aside for some trees next year, it's against the south wall. I'll record what temps I get there at some various cold days this year.

In order to keep my wife on the team, we'll also be looking for some "indoor" bonsai. During a visit to a local nursery yesterday she fell in love with an outgrown ficus ginseng. Not really my ideal, but as I say this is going to be a team effort. I'd like to find a Chinese Elm or Fukien Tea at some point also. I also have some Portulacaria afra and Crassula ovata that I can play with.

ficus1.jpg ficus root1.jpg

I didn't have any pots that I thought were deep enough, so we found one online that's on it's way. I think it'll be OK to re-pot it and give it a trim over the next week or so.

I've been growing succulents for many years, but only got more serious about them in the past few. I'm growing some that I inherited from my dad, and have grown some from seed. Mostly I'm into Haworthia, Adromischus, Euphorbia, and Astrophytum. I've been using a gritty mix for a few years now, and now I know that it came from Bonsai. I have 100# of Turface in the garage, and generally use a 1:1:1 mixture of Turface, chicken grit (granite), and pine bark fines. Everything is sifted to between 1/8" and 1/4". I have about a gallon of pumice from a failed Lithops venture, but they seem to be mostly bigger chunks (1/4" - 1/2"). I'm planning to plant the ficus in my gritty mix, with just a bit more pine bark than usual.

I'm really jonesing to get started on some trees, but understand that I have to wait until spring. Plus, it looks like I'll be working on 5 trees during my class with Bill V, so that'll probably be enough to keep me going. But I do have some trees I got from the Arbor Tree Foundation that are "growing out" in my landscape (Washington Hawthorn, Eastern Redbud, Sargent Crabapple, White Dogwood, Lilac). I've also got a huge Japanese Maple that I may try to air layer. There are also a couple of 3 - 5' upright juniper that appeared in my yard over time (bird drops?), but they have straight trunks.

At any rate, that's my story. I'm looking forward to learning and growing and can already tell that this community will be a big help!

- Chris

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You're fine
Welcome to BNut.
I am sorry about your Dad.
Lots to learn, hard to know where to begin except just begin and see where it goes.
Bill V is an excellent person to learn from

El Funko

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Sandy. It's actually been 18 years since he passed, but of course we still miss him. I've been busy with kids since then, but my oldest is off to college this year so we're starting to think about hobbies that take more time.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Sandy. It's actually been 18 years since he passed, but of course we still miss him. I've been busy with kids since then, but my oldest is off to college this year so we're starting to think about hobbies that take more time.
Funny how that real life distracts you isnt it

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jealous you're so close and going to Bill's class!

One recommendation I have is to spend more on one tree rather than buying multiples; quality > quantity.

Welcome!

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think, if you put the indoor tree your wife wanted into a fancy bonsai pot, maybe an octagonal (8 corners) one with a nice glaze, it will be much more bearable. You can also practice trimming and wiring on it

El Funko

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think, if you put the indoor tree your wife wanted into a fancy bonsai pot, maybe an octagonal (8 corners) one with a nice glaze, it will be much more bearable. You can also practice trimming and wiring on it
We ordered a nice 8x7 rectangle pot that has some depth to it. I haven’t taken it out of the pot yet so I don’t know how deep the roots are on the bulbs. If they’re up high I might chop them and put them in a smaller pot. But I wanted to be prepared with options when I get it out of the dirt.

Top Bottom