Beginner-looking for advice

ABitOfAPickle

Seedling
Reaction score
About 3 months ago I bought my first bonsai, a Desert Rose. Just yesterday got my second, a Juniper. Really just looking for any advice on these particular trees to help me go on the right direction. I would hate for these things to die.

I've put both plants in front of the door so they get sun throughout the day. Been watering once a week (since it's almost winter) from the bottom in a tray. I Was just introduced to fertilizer so if anyone can comment on the best way to do that, that would be appreciated. The lady I bought the juniper from gave me two fertilizer samples that you just turn upside down and stick in the soil which is in the pic. No information on the mixture though. Is that the best way?

I also noticed the moss on the rose was dying. I read that I should spray with water every other day to keep damp. Is that right? I would like to spread the moss to my Juniper too. Can I just wait until it's healthy enough and get a chunk from what's with the Rose and lay on the soil for the Juniper?

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 1127191217.jpg
    1127191217.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 34

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
The juniper needs to be outside to go dormant. I wonder if its too late to get it to harden up for winter? What zone/location are u in? I'd remove the moss myself. The adenium (desert rose) looks a little beat but they bounce back. Mine always goes into semi dormancy even though it is tropical and comes inside for winter. I water a LOT less (the adenium). I've had mine for like 15 years and it has bloomed every year. My juniper always goes outside.

Last edited:

ABitOfAPickle

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. I live in Pennsylvania, USA. So it's starting to get cold here. It was 55 degrees Fahrenheit here today. Yeah the rose grows in warmer more humid climates, but from what I understand they adapt well and are fairly easy to care for.

Should I move the Rose away from the window at night? It's starting to get down in the 30's here at night

ABitOfAPickle

Seedling
Reaction score
The juniper needs to be outside to go dormant. I wonder if its too late to get it to harden up for winter? What zone/location are u in? I'd remove the moss myself. The adenium (desert rose) looks a little beat but they bounce back. Mine always goes into semi dormancy even though it is tropical and comes inside for winter. I water a LOT less (the adenium). I've had mine for like 15 years and it has bloomed every year. My juniper always goes outside.

What's the climate like where you live? You leave them out all day and night or just during the day?

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Southeast Michigan. All my bonsai are always outside and only come in for display or if they are tropical they come in before the first freeze and stay in until its warmer outside (lows in high 40s at least; so like Oct/Nov to May ish). So the junipers are outside all the time and only come in for parties etc and in fact go back out right after the last guest leaves....
I don't think being near the window is an issue. Its not touching the window right? And its around 60s or low 70s inside the house right?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
dont let them dry out, get cold and them water. They hate cold wet feet.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I consider the desert rose a botanical oddity but not a bonsai.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Put the desert rose indoors where it gets the most light (which it sounds like you are doing). For the best growth/health it needs to go outside when it's warm enough (>45f) and stay outside until it gets too cold (<45f). When you move it outside in like April/May, let it spend a week in bright shade before slowly working it into a full sun area. I'm not sure about maintaining moss indoors, but for sure, misting is going to help.

The juniper is more complicated in some ways, but as others have said, it needs to go outside. Year-round. 100%. Look up "overwintering" on bonsainut and read a lot. It needs to get below 40f and stay there all winter. If it were mine I'd put it outside, on the ground, out of the sun (north side of house is best, against the foundation or under a deck is great), dump a big pile of mulch around the pot and up to the first branch, and protect it from the wind. Most juniper trees bought like this die within the first year - not because of the species, but because of how they have been treated before the sale, the soil that they are in, the poor or completely incorrect instructions that come with them, and the lack of knowledge and preparation of the buyer. This is not a dig on you, and you are asking questions in the right place. They cannot be treated like a houseplant.

ABitOfAPickle

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the replys! All the info is much appreciated. I guess I should research the trees before I purchase from now one lol

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It should not be too late for the juniper to go outside. Read what “canoeguide” said above. I have overwintered collected junipers successfully in zone 3 (Alberta Canada) using these methods. Too bad I have no pictures. They were all given away to make room for more spruce and pines.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Im in NJ, same basic climate as you.

Put the juniper outside, against a wall that shades it throughout the day. Take a wooden box or crate or something that will protect it from wind and cut the bottom out. Tree on box on ground, fill box with leaves to the trunk of tree. Close box. Open box if it rains or snows, then close box and leave it.

ABitOfAPickle

Seedling
Reaction score
My rose feels kinda loose in the pot. If I just poke the trunk it moves in the soil about an 8th of an inch. Also, I noticed that the soil you have yours in is different. Mine was bought with a soil mixture on bottom and about a half inch of rocks on top? Thought that seemed like too much rock. Wanted to repot but thought it was too late in season. Yours looks awesome, seems to be doing great. I'm trying to bring mine back it's looking a little rough. Although, I do have 2 new leaves sprouting...

Top Bottom