Beginner Removing Fungus from Juniper

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This morning I removed white fungus from my cascade juniper. I determined that forgetting to remove the plantar pot from the terracotta dish after watering (two times only) kept the soil damp. Tree is in development in a well-draining plantar pot.

As I understand it, it takes several weeks of excessive water to cause root rot, but forgetting to water even once can be fatal. Aside from the mold, I’m pleased with its flush so far since I slip-potted in March.

Bonsai alchemist (online resource) recommends removing infected tissue/growth and soil then place cinnamon onto soil as it acts as a natural anti fungal.

How I removed the fungus:

I used an exacto knife to carefully carve away mold-infected tissue from the trunk surface and around the base. I used aseptic technique and sterilized tools. I will ensure that I allow the tree to dry properly and to not forget to remove the pot from the dish when watering. The pot itself drains well.

The tree gets 3-4 hours of open window and morning sun, then goes back outside on the back deck all day and night when the sun hits the backyard around 1PM.

I would like your feedback on my method of removal. Is there a better technique to use? Can fungus be brushed off away? Should I remove more tissue? Should I remove and replace more soil?

From an aesthetic standpoint, I am optimistic the scarring will not be a detriment. Maybe it will add character. I do not yet have any spray for my tree. I’m open to suggestions and insight. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7638.jpeg
    IMG_7638.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7636.jpeg
    IMG_7636.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7640.jpeg
    IMG_7640.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7639.jpeg
    IMG_7639.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7637.jpeg
    IMG_7637.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 27

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is not likely to have been mold and is more likely to have been calcium scale. Can't really know for sure because you did away with it. I believe you may have overreacted.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is not likely to have been mold and is more likely to have been calcium scale. Can't really know for sure because you did away with it. I believe you may have overreacted.
Calcium scale, I see. Is my intervention a detriment to the tree health wise?

I was inclined to think it was mold. Having removed the cinnamon and checked slightly deeper, all the soil is very damp and it was watered a few days ago and warm since. If I left the container in the terra-cotta dish after watering, would that be enough to cause mold?

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It'd be helpful to know where you're located to tailor the advice a bit.

A couple points: This tree should stay outside. It also doesn't need a terracotta dish to sit in. I'm not sure if its in that dish to keep from ruining countertops inside, but it won't need it outside which can assuage your fears.

If the tree is staying too wet, it likely needs repotting. Moving it outside is going to help in this regard as well, but good soil can right many wrongs. Here's where knowing where you're located will help on giving advice regarding the timing.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
My Location: Charlottesville VA (7b).

Tree Location in Morning: open window 3 hours sun in front of house to maximize natural sunlight and heat.

Location for afternoon/evening: direct sun outside at back of house 7+ hours.

Location overnight: outside

In a 24 hour period, the tree outside for 21 hours and is inside for 3 hours receiving direct light and O2.

Container: growing pot, well-draining
Soil: Organic soil and fertilizer.

Perhaps I will remove the dish underneath altogether.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you should remove the dish. This is not a bonsai yet, and it's not in bonsai soil yet, so it requires maybe one of two waterings a month. With a dish it's standing in water, and that'll kill the roots eventually.
You can keep a plant indoors for a couple days, with no issues whatsoever. But in general keeping it outside 95% of the time is better for its health.

Mold happens sometimes, it's no reason for concern in nearly all cases. You shouldn't need spray for your tree either, get into that kind of stuff when problems happen; there's usually plenty of time to combat those problems, conifers take months to die. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm thinking you might be loving it a little too much right now ;-)
Get some more trees, so you can divide your attention!

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think you should remove the dish. This is not a bonsai yet, and it's not in bonsai soil yet, so it requires maybe one of two waterings a month. With a dish it's standing in water, and that'll kill the roots eventually.
You can keep a plant indoors for a couple days, with no issues whatsoever. But in general keeping it outside 95% of the time is better for its health.

Mold happens sometimes, it's no reason for concern in nearly all cases. You shouldn't need spray for your tree either, get into that kind of stuff when problems happen; there's usually plenty of time to combat those problems, conifers take months to die. I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'm thinking you might be loving it a little too much right now ;-)
Get some more trees, so you can divide your attention!
The tree will remain in development for more than 2-3 years. I forgot to remove the dish twice and then noticed the white fungus. I have since removed the dish. I think my rationale was black growing container + Tera cottage dish + spring and summer sunlight = maximum heat absorption for growth (especially roots).

I think you’re right about giving it too much attention. It gets 21 hours outside and 3 inside due to great morning sunlight and heat in the front of the house. I move both junipers twice a day to maximize sunlight. Although I’ve done a good job watering properly (until the last two times), I didn’t check well enough. I simply noticed the growth and then removed it. I’ll be more careful.

Bonsai Forest

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
People highly overrate the challenges in watering. DO not worry. Even if it was mould, it is not an issue. Fungus is alive everywhere.
I should have checked in here first. By using a thin blade to slice off the external tissue and mold, is there any long-term threat to the tree and overall health? Will the scarring heal to any extent?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you cut roots or bark you will likely have some damage that remains visible. But over time -assuming you did not ring-bark- it will just become barked over.

Top Bottom