Beginner running into browning issues

arobz

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Brand new to bonsai trees and looks like I'm already running into an issue.

Bought these trees awhile ago and looks like they are both browning on the ends of the leaves. At first I thought it was from sitting in direct sunlight too long but now I read it could be from under or over watering. I don't put them into direct sunlight anymore.

Not sure what either of these trees are but I don't want to let them die. So wanted to get advise on what you think could be the main issue here.

Some background info. Bought the bigger tree from a gentlemen who told me to submerge it in some water for about 20 minutes once a week. I have been doing that but it seems the tree might be getting worse. The little one I do the same thing then just spray the moss at night and in the morning so it's damp. Both trees sit on a ledge that is a few feet from an open window. They get some indirect sun throughout the day. I also live very close to the beach if that makes a difference.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Gonna start reading up on all the info here in the forums as well.

20120107_130612.jpg
20120107_130552.jpg
20120107_130537.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
1. Looks like you have a privet and a juniper, both very hardy and should be outside if it's warm than 25 or so.
2. Stick a piece of bamboo skewer down into the soil and treat it like a dipstick. When it feels like its drying, water...probably needs it more than weekly.
3. Water from above, and get the foliage wet. Get the soil wet, let it soak in, water a little more, let it soak in, then water again, thoroughly so water drains freely from the holes that should in the bottom of the pot. Watering this way ensures the soil is thoroughly saturated, but more importantly, pulls fresh air down into the soil with it...thos doesn't happen when you submerge it.
4. The soil looks like potting soil, with becomes a mess in a bonsai pot. Water carefully, and use the bamboo skewer to aerate the soil until you can repot the into something more appropriate...coarser....but you can cross that bridge a little later.
5. Welcome! Great hobby, but not without a substantial and often frustrating learning curve.

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You are overwatering. Both privet and juniper will prefer dry feet. Follow Brian's instructions about testing for dryness. Wait until the soil is pretty dry. DO NOT DUNK YOUR TREES (or buy another tree from that yahoo).

arobz

Seedling
Reaction score
1. Looks like you have a privet and a juniper, both very hardy and should be outside if it's warm than 25 or so.
2. Stick a piece of bamboo skewer down into the soil and treat it like a dipstick. When it feels like its drying, water...probably needs it more than weekly.
3. Water from above, and get the foliage wet. Get the soil wet, let it soak in, water a little more, let it soak in, then water again, thoroughly so water drains freely from the holes that should in the bottom of the pot. Watering this way ensures the soil is thoroughly saturated, but more importantly, pulls fresh air down into the soil with it...thos doesn't happen when you submerge it.
4. The soil looks like potting soil, with becomes a mess in a bonsai pot. Water carefully, and use the bamboo skewer to aerate the soil until you can repot the into something more appropriate...coarser....but you can cross that bridge a little later.
5. Welcome! Great hobby, but not without a substantial and often frustrating learning curve.

Thank you for the insight. I just keep these little guys indoor all day. Is that bad or just they be outside in a spot where they don't get direct sun exposure? Would they be fine being inside or am i causing them more harm then good? What should I do about the brown leaves?

Definitely a learning curve but it wouldn't be fun if it was easy and luckily there are places like this with vasts amount of knowledge.

You are overwatering. Both privet and juniper will prefer dry feet. Follow Brian's instructions about testing for dryness. Wait until the soil is pretty dry. DO NOT DUNK YOUR TREES (or buy another tree from that yahoo).

So you think they would possibly still need to be watered more then once a week or it all just depends? If they sit outside they probably need less water because of the moisture in the ocean air?

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I like the trunk on the 2nd tree - something to build on eventually. Your first goal should be to keep them alive and healthy. Get them outside! unless you live very far from the equator. The pictures sure look like the soil is way too wet (unless maybe you just watered). Let it dry somewhat (as others have said) and think about repotting into some better draining soil sooner rather than later.

I'd recommend not trying to find a strict watering schedule, but instead following the advice above and watering when they need it - easier to say than done maybe, but that's what these plants need to survive and thrive.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Outside is best for the plants unless you have the artificial lighting needed indoors. More than likely they don't get enough light from your window.
To better help us help you list where you live or the zone you live in.
Also to help yourself, research your trees and find out what they are. Personally I wouldn't trust buying from someone who didn't know what they were selling you either.

arobz

Seedling
Reaction score
I like the trunk on the 2nd tree - something to build on eventually. Your first goal should be to keep them alive and healthy. Get them outside! unless you live very far from the equator. The pictures sure look like the soil is way too wet (unless maybe you just watered). Let it dry somewhat (as others have said) and think about repotting into some better draining soil sooner rather than later.

I'd recommend not trying to find a strict watering schedule, but instead following the advice above and watering when they need it - easier to say than done maybe, but that's what these plants need to survive and thrive.

I need to get a tooth pick or something so I can try that method. Think I might have just sprayed them down a little earlier when I took the pictures. So you think even with them sitting next to an open window with sun they still need to be outside?

Outside is best for the plants unless you have the artificial lighting needed indoors. More than likely they don't get enough light from your window.
To better help us help you list where you live or the zone you live in.
Also to help yourself, research your trees and find out what they are. Personally I wouldn't trust buying from someone who didn't know what they were selling you either.

I live in southern California very close to the beach. The window does supply quite a bit of light but I didn't know if they needed tons of light. I definitely do need to research some more and I bought the tree from this man on a total spur of the moment kind of deal.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Move them outside, shade at first, then gradually to more light over the course of several weeks. They will need more frequent watering outside. Watch them every day, direct sun inside a window is exponentially less light than outside, so take your time and let them adapt.

I wouldn't worry too much about the salt in the air...watering the foliage when you water should keep salt build up at bay.

The brown leaves: trim them off the juniper, allow them to fall off the privet. They don't look that bad in the photos.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And once you do get them outside and put that skewer in the soil, make sure you check it every day for dryness. Although both of these plants can be on the dryish side, you never want to let them completely dry out for any length of time. And when you get them outside, especially if it's warm or hot, they will need more water, and you'll need to keep a close eye on them. (sometimes in the heat, some plants need water more than once a day) Once you do get them healthy, and repot them, it will be easier to deal with the watering in the correct type of soil.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby, and the forum! Keep us posted on your progress.

arobz

Seedling
Reaction score
Move them outside, shade at first, then gradually to more light over the course of several weeks. They will need more frequent watering outside. Watch them every day, direct sun inside a window is exponentially less light than outside, so take your time and let them adapt.

I wouldn't worry too much about the salt in the air...watering the foliage when you water should keep salt build up at bay.

The brown leaves: trim them off the juniper, allow them to fall off the privet. They don't look that bad in the photos.

That works. I will start today and see if it gets better. The privet has gotten worse and it looks really sad so I need to fix it asap.

And once you do get them outside and put that skewer in the soil, make sure you check it every day for dryness. Although both of these plants can be on the dryish side, you never want to let them completely dry out for any length of time. And when you get them outside, especially if it's warm or hot, they will need more water, and you'll need to keep a close eye on them. (sometimes in the heat, some plants need water more than once a day) Once you do get them healthy, and repot them, it will be easier to deal with the watering in the correct type of soil.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby, and the forum! Keep us posted on your progress.

Would a small toothpick work or is there even a bonsai specific tool we can use to gauge the wetness of the soil? I tried with the skewer but never could really tell if it was damp or not.

Thanks for the welcome and here is the other tree I have. (don't know the name either :()

20120115_101144.jpg

This one seems to be doing fine inside so maybe it's more of an indoor plant then the other two.

Guess I went about this the wrong way but I am excited to start my own bonsai from scratch and help develop it from 100% scratch. Thanks again for all the help everyone.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually Arobz, the last plant you posted is very much an outside tree as well. It is also a juniper. Sometimes with junipers (and cactus), they can look alive for a long time after they are beyond the point of saving. I would strongly suggest you place this one outside as well.

You could use a toothpick, I don't see anything wrong with that. When I test my skewers for moisture, I almost always test them on my face as it can be hard to tell on your fingers (especially if you work with your hands as I do).

Don't feel bad, a lot of us started the same way... But you have to start reading so you'll be able to care for them properly.

arobz

Seedling
Reaction score
Actually Arobz, the last plant you posted is very much an outside tree as well. It is also a juniper. Sometimes with junipers (and cactus), they can look alive for a long time after they are beyond the point of saving. I would strongly suggest you place this one outside as well.

You could use a toothpick, I don't see anything wrong with that. When I test my skewers for moisture, I almost always test them on my face as it can be hard to tell on your fingers (especially if you work with your hands as I do).

Don't feel bad, a lot of us started the same way... But you have to start reading so you'll be able to care for them properly.

I like the face suggestion. Gonna give it a try and see how it goes. Definitely need to start reading up on it more. Know of any online reading you might suggest for someone just starting?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
google
Bret Walstons evergreen garden works
it's like the online bible,
also
harry harringtons bonsai4me
he's in england, but much great info, and some really great progression threads,
and do use the search function here to find info on specific subjects
If you don't know what to search for here, just start looking at the forums, and look back through them, and you'll find out what you need to start learning.

Top Bottom