Beginner stands

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
i had some wood laying around so I made a couple of cheap looking stands. They're not professional by any means, but they'll be useful around the house.

Not great pics, but here you go.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 101

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Yep! But, the benefit I have is family members that don't know any better! :D

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They're not professional by any means, but they'll be useful around the house.

ummmm, they also look ok for your purposes, and better then nothing by far ;) Hell I am not even certain I will build outdoor stands at this place and stick with concrete blocks and shelves - they work like benches and stained really don't look crappy... Indoors I have no need as the plant room is all shelving. You did good :)

Grimmy

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Thanks! My local bonsai shop said there's an issue with getting stands from China, that the prices are going up. I'm not sure whether I believe him or not, but I've got years before I have to worry about nice display stands.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Yep!! And pricey though they may be, I think I'd much rather have one handmade by a member here than one mass produced in China.
This hobby is about enjoyment, and I think I'd enjoy that much more.
I had a tiki man made by a well known bonsai blogger here in Florida rather than buy one from Home Depot for that exact reason.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yep!! And pricey though they may be, I think I'd much rather have one handmade by a member here than one mass produced in China.

The mass produced Chinese stuff is ok for "casual" home use. The stands the pro's make are show quality and you would be hard pressed getting that quality from overseas. If you could it would be far more expensive then you can imagine.

Grimmy

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Better make cheap stands that look expensive ;)

I think that's exactly what he did :)

@Lobaeux nice job dude! :cool:

I suck at woodcraft, that's just epic! :)

And for the 'I would never put a beautiful tree on them of course' feeling:
Did you had a chance to take a look at the photo reportage one of us Nuts made last year on a sort of pilgrimage around famous Bonsai Artists' gardens he just did in Japan?
If not you should try to find it and take a look at the trees, and at what they are sitting on.
I'm pretty sure you won't ever hesitate to put a magnificent tree on almost whatever again ;)

(and I'm pretty sure also that with the right wood you would have the skill to do very decent stands for your trees yourself. I suck at woodcraft but my father was an artist at it, I know how it should look ;))

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
@Alain, thank you for your kind words. Maybe I take better pics of them than they look in real life!

They're really just pine boards sanded down with 1"X1" legs attached. I used a drill to drill out a 1/2" hole in the board and the legs, then cut a dowel down to attach the legs. I cheated a bit and used some wood glue, just to make sure they didn't come apart. Further sanding, then three coats of dark ebony stain and finished.

I'll use them for temporary display in the house, mainly for when my mother comes to visit. My little sister knits her own blankets as gifts, I have to compete. Sibling rivalry!

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Alain, thank you for your kind words. Maybe I take better pics of them than they look in real life!

They're really just pine boards sanded down with 1"X1" legs attached. I used a drill to drill out a 1/2" hole in the board and the legs, then cut a dowel down to attach the legs. I cheated a bit and used some wood glue, just to make sure they didn't come apart. Further sanding, then three coats of dark ebony stain and finished.

I'll use them for temporary display in the house, mainly for when my mother comes to visit. My little sister knits her own blankets as gifts, I have to compete. Sibling rivalry!

Glue isn't cheating, nails are :)

Top Bottom