Beginner with Questions

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

(Sorry for the long post)

First off my name is Tom and would like to sample the bonsai hobby. These trees have always interested me and seem like a very neat and worthwhile project. I have only begun researching the subject and I have learned a few things but I have many more questions than answers:

1. Since I live in Ohio in an apartment with no well lit windows, it seems as though I will need to use artificial lighting, which I am fine with. This leads me to my first question: What types of trees could grow indoors using a full spectrum CFL bulb (or 2)? Ive read that ficus species are the easiest but that's about it. Another aspect that I've read about it creating a dormancy period for sub tropicals by reducing light and temperature. Is this possible for an indoor only plant? What gives me the best chance for success? Also, my apartment will not support lights any bigger than 24 inches due to the lack of space.

2. What other tools would I need besides the light(s), a tree and some water? Im trying to learn as much as I can on training trees with copper and aluminum wire and the importance of repotting , types of soil etc. What supplies does a beginner need? Humidity tray? Any info on this will be very helpful. Pointing me to a good book or resource will also be great.

3. Ive realized that I can buy either seeds or a 2-3 year old tree. In your opinion, what is more rewarding/easier for a beginner? Is tackling seedlings too much for a beginner?

Thanks!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tropicals do not need a dormant period, they do not get one in nature either. Indoors Ficus work well and Ficus Salicaria aka Willow Leaf ficus are the less finicky as they are an understory tropical not needing strong light. Other understory trees should grow well indoors too maybe even some of those lace leaf japanese maples that tend to burn up in full sun and need screens over them or to be kept in a partially shaded area.

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Tom,

I would start with a ficus variety. A good prebonsai or bonsai. Not Mallsai.
You can have fun with seeds but under 2ft of light, you really don't have space to start the hundreds you ought to cull from.

Skip a humidity tray. I would find a under bed storage box to keep 3-4 trees in under your lights. This is only meant to catch water, and does not really increase humidity.

I have radiators......

I think this makes for a big difference in need for humidity, as it is forced air systems that are "drier than outdoor conditions" that you may have read. Though I'm sure folks grow in forced air without extra humidity, just be sure your plants aren't directly by a vent.

Don't buy cheap tools. Get a good set of scissors and Some soil sieves to start. You'll acquire more in time, but these are must haves.

Check out http://bonsaihunk.com/ficusforum/FicusForum.html.

But you have found the best resource in BNUT!

Welcome to crazy !

Sorce

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
So buy using a soil sieve I won't need to buy soil? What about fertilizing? Is absolutely necessary or are their guidelines for each plant? Im planning on using a willow leaf ficus by the way.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tom a soil sieve is for screening soil components if you plan on making your own soil mix. Being a beginner save the money and whoever you buy it off of tell them that you want a bag of their soil mix unless it comes in a Bonsai pot already. Many times they have it planted in a Bonsai pot or will do it for you recognizing you are a beginner and want to get you in the hobby. Fertilizing is necessary especially if you have a mostly non organic mix as it will not hold many nutrients. Use a good Balanced fertilizer ( 20-20-20 or 10-10-10 etc) and do it every other week, the plant will use what it needs and the rest will wash away.

ed

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
Should I have an aversion to ordering my tree online? Should I absolutely go to a bonsai store to select my tree?

Is the Chinese elm also a viable option for indoor only growth?

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I have an aversion to ordering my tree online? Should I absolutely go to a bonsai store to select my tree?

There are some great online sellers. Look to Wigerts Bonsai for a nice reasonable Willow Leaf he has stock now for $25 and $35 the more expensive one a bit larger and more developed. Schley's seem to be out of them now. They are listed on Wigert's as Ficus Nerifolia / F. Salicaria on this page http://wigertsbonsai.com/store/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=ficus&inc_subcat=0&sort=20a&page=2 They are a quality operation , sell pots and soil mix as well.

There are some good sellers on Ebay too, if you see anytjing from George Muranaka - mbn1978 you can be certain that he is quality materials and shipping and reasonable too. Of course if you can find one local you don't need to pay shipping and as a bonus you can talk to the grower and get advice and have someone to nag with questions every time a leaf drops lol :p Have fun, don't overthink it !

ed

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Im still a little iffy on what I want for my lighting to be. Also since I have central air my air tends to be dry. Ill have to come up with a solution for that.

luckydevil728

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Tom,
Let me get this right.. you want to get yourself some bonsai trees, to keep inside an apartment, with very little natural window light and just enough room for 1 or 2 light bulbs?

Don't mean to sound discouraging, but maybe you should rethink this? Bonsai and or Penjing involve using real trees that grow outside.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Tom,
Let me get this right.. you want to get yourself some bonsai trees, to keep inside an apartment, with very little natural window light and just enough room for 1 or 2 light bulbs?

Don't mean to sound discouraging, but maybe you should rethink this? Bonsai and or Penjing involve using real trees that grow outside.

I have to politely disagree.

I keep a ficus Ben outside in the summer, it grows with about 1/2 inch internodes.
Inside, directly under fluorescents, it grows with 1/4 inch internodes.

Willow leaf ficus is a good idea. I love Chinese elm, but I don't like messing with a tree that " could" Go dormant, but that's just me. You totally could. But I think any good ones are grown with dormancy , outside. The indoor ones are the crap you find at the depot and such....Mallsai.

Unless you know for sure the C Elm has been indoors all its life, it may not last......

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't over think the humidity thing either......

Creating humid usually leads to fungus and rot.

Just avoid The Fukien tea tree for now, no matter how cute it looks!

Right now I'm using Napa 8822 Oildry/pine bark fines.
Total cost...about $12. This will last you 4- 5 years.
A $20 bag of premade soil Will last you maybe 2 years.

Lol of course you gotta get soil! You just MUST sift it!
I used a liquid chemical for a while, but really noticed better growth with a slow release Vigoro 16-8-4 at overdose levels. Its much easier than putting liquid every watering!

Sorce

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
The willow leaf that has been previously pointed out is the plant I think I will go with. Although the leaves are a bit larger, do you think it would be possible to defoliate them down to a regular size?

This is the light that I am planning on using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00198SWJI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AISFWZQJ85MSG

Will it be big/ powerful enough? Should I get two?

Will the soil shipped with the plant be good for the first year if I use fertilizer? Is this a good choice:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZ9R1A/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3722LJCG0G22S

Last edited:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The willow leaf that has been previously pointed out is the plant I think I will go with. Although the leaves are a bit larger, do you think it would be possible to defoliate them down to a regular size?

This is the light that I am planning on using: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00198SWJI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AISFWZQJ85MSG

Will it be big/ powerful enough? Should I get two?

Will the soil shipped with the plant be good for the first year if I use fertilizer? Is this a good choice:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CZ9R1A/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3722LJCG0G22S

That light could work but I would get at least two and put them close to the plant in a good reflector. Also try and avoid anything with bonsaiboy, they are pretty crappy and not a good resource. I second wigerts bonsai, I have gotten a few trees from them.

Another tree to consider that I enjoy is dwarf schefflera. They are tropical and have a lower light tolerance and can be made into some pretty cool bonsai. I have two and I bought them at lowes and repotted them and cut them down to nothing and they grow back pretty amazing.

Fukubonsai.com

Spend a few days on the ficus site and fukubonsai to make a decision as both are good starter material.

I grow all my indoors tree(5 years running now) under high powered led's. A little more pricey but you could search for a full spectrum led bulb and you'll have better growth. OR you could by something like this and keep a few tree's under it

http://www.amazon.com/AQUAMANA-LED-55x3W-Dimmable-Aquarium-Light/dp/B00LV2D07Q

edited my bad spelling(stupid phone)

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have to tell you that I have a nice small willow leaf ficus that I keep inside in the winter, and outside in the summer. I have it in a south (sunny, when it's not doing the Ohio gloomy winter thing) window, with only a normal florescent light over it. I have had no problems, and it grows nicely for me year round. I suppose that better growth might be had with brighter lights, but I don't have any trouble not having some expensive and complicated setup.

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
I grow all must indoors tree(5 years running now) under high powered led's. A little more pricey but you could search for a full spectrum led bulb and you'll have better growth. OR you could by something like this and keep a few tree's under it

http://www.amazon.com/AQUAMANA-LED-55x3W-Dimmable-Aquarium-Light/dp/B00LV2D07Q

I am not willing to spend that much money on a hobby I'm just getting into. I am also not trying to own more than one tree for the time being. Although your plan is probably the better option, I think I will have to go with my original lighting idea of using CFL bulbs. What would you suggest as a reflector?

Thank you for the mention of the dwarf schefflera. It is a very nice tree and maybe my new pick for my inaugural tree.

As far as fertilizer goes, any fertilizer will work as long as it has the necessary chemicals?

This one to start with? http://www.amazon.com/Schultz-Purpo...d=1422988636&sr=1-4&keywords=plant+fertilizer

Last edited:

skrit

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
Beware that particular fertilizer selection. It has some bad reviews regarding size and lacks any application directions. It is quite a small bag for the price. I think you would be better off just buying a jug of of regular balanced slow-release fertilizer. Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Osmocote-Vegetable-Smart-Release-1-Pound-Fertilizer/dp/B00G8FF2UO/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1422990687&sr=1-2&keywords=fertilizer+osmocote

Thank you so much! I was thinking that it was a little pricey for such a small item. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to where to buy a tree online? I just want to have as many options as possible.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Better to go with a slow release for indoor trees, skrit recommended a good one. Also the simple single shop light reflectors you can get at Lowes or home depot work pretty good if your on a budget. Just be aware that your growth may be decent but with better brighter light you'll get more compact growth and better growth. Though both will do well enough, more so with the dwarf schefflera.

Other then ebay and wigerts I'm unsure for tropicals as I don't buy many. Honestly Maybe start with a schefflera or ficus from a big box store. Yeah it may look crappy but it could be a good test to see how well it does under your care with watering and such. FIRST is to read, read and then read some more.

Last edited:

Tom21

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

What type of pot should I get for a tree thats under 10 inches? What are some good dimensions? Is there such a thing as too big?

Last edited:
Top Bottom