Beginner's Questions

Anthony324

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hello all!

My name is Anthony and Im fairly new to bonsai's. I bought my first bonsai, a pink serissa, at the 2014 Cherry Blossom Festival. It was doing pretty well, but at first I had to do some trial and error to find the best conditions for it. Long story short I am out of the country right now and before I left I gave my bonsai to my mother to take care of it, but my grandmother tried to help and over watered it and now its dead. So, this summer I am coming back to America and would like to buy at least two smallish indoor bonsais to take care of when Im in college. I already know I would like to have another serissa, but my questions are what are good smallish, reasonable price indoor beginner bonsais? And would anyone know of good nursery in the Maryland area or a nursery that ships?

Thanks,

Anthony

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a guy on here with a great hairdo that keeps serissa well.

I'd go with some ficus.

Someone will recommend a good nursery or there.

Sorce

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anthony,

if you retry with the serissa, try with the Serissa s. the Chinese type. Look for Sageretia t, or Chinese elm or as Sorce suggested, but let it be the Ficus benjamina.
Should be fun with 2 Anthony's.
Good Day
Anthony

Anthony324

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the fast reply and the feedback! I will definitely look into those species before I come back. I did find one nursery in Maryland, www.meehansminiatures.com . I was wondering if anyone knows about this nursery or has any input? I'm still open for other nursery suggestions! :)

Should be fun with 2 Anthony's.

Yeah it will! But your the original to this Forum:)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For indoor it seems to me that the really easiest one to take care of will be a ficus. I have a retusa which is virtually bulletproof.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yes visit Meehans. You should also contact/join one of the exceptional bonsai clubs in MD. And of course there is the National Bonsai collection at the National Arboretum.

Anthony324

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes visit Meehans. You should also contact/join one of the exceptional bonsai clubs in MD. And of course there is the National Bonsai collection at the National Arboretum.
Either my mother and I, or just my mother will visit Meehans. If she goes before I come back Ill give here all the plant names, sizes, and shapes I would like to have. I want to join a bonsai club, but Ill have to wait it out till I figure out which state I will be living in when Im in college.

For indoor it seems to me that the really easiest one to take care of will be a ficus. I have a retusa which is virtually bulletproof.
Thanks Alain, I will definitely look into the retusa!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ficus is easy to keep indoors . Benjamina is perhaps the hardest to keep across the board indoors or out. Ficus Salicaria or Willow Leaf as its commonly called is a low light type with neat narrow leaves and practically bullet proof indoors.

ed

Anthony324

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ficus is easy to keep indoors . Benjamina is perhaps the hardest to keep across the board indoors or out.
I started to research the Benjamina and it sounded/looked quite difficult for a beginner, but I had my eye on the willow leaf. I'll check more into them. Thanks Ed

Top Bottom