Beginning a More Serious Juni Project

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have been driving past a row of potted junipers at a landscape nursery for a few years now... Today I pulled in and scoped em out...

There were a couple good ones...
Didn't take pics on site, sorry.

It's an unknown variety, I know it's hearty because it's been sitting in a parking lot for 2 or 3 years with no protection...

If anyone can ID the foliage, that'd be cool!

The guy said that it was grown in a feild, planted among other junipers, and some got parts shaded out... hence the dead wood. It was dug up 2 or 3 years ago...

It was $35, I didn't argue... I think I can make something cool with it, in time...I'll have to play with planting angles a lot on this one...

What do you think?
KIMG0431.JPGKIMG0432.JPGKIMG0433.JPGKIMG0434.JPGKIMG0435.JPGKIMG0436.JPG1523395014268788855925.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have one similar to that. I think mine is a Golden something or other. It has almost a weeping foliage. The trunk on mine is pretty awesome so I am going to try and developed it into something. This one of yours looks very nice as well. I’m anxious to see what you do with it..

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice find! Hopefully it has nice taper when you find the base. Not sure on the variety, my plant identification skills were lost over the past 10 years or so.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Nice find! Hopefully it has nice taper when you find the base. Not sure on the variety, my plant identification skills were lost over the past 10 years or so.
A good Nebari would sure be nice to find, but unlikely, I think....and also it's, "not required", if you will...
Many field grown and collected junipers don't have any Nebari to speak of...

What I'm hoping for mostly, is a nice elegant live vein to contrast with the dead wood...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Possibly a blue rug (juniperus horizontalis)? It’s a little more upright than mine but foliage looks pretty similar.
I think blue rugs (I have one too) are a ground cover or creeping type... As you mentioned, this is more upright, or low and spreading...
Also my blue rug's foliage is tighter and softer than this...
But still, I don't know how many different "blue varieties exist" at this point...
It does look very similar to "Blaauw" Juniper...in the foliage.

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got one similar to this, but yours is a lot prettier and more adult foliage. I got mine for the thick trunk base, to begin my green wood carving training. I do o.k. on aged deadwood, but get clumsy hands when working on greener wood. as the saying goes, Go big or plant flowers, hahaha.
So yeah, it was a Angelica Blue, the juvy foliage is sharp and annoying, but price we pay for practice. But again, yours is longer, literati style, and way better foliage to play with. Good find.
You will do well with it. look forward to the pics.

Top Bottom