Ben and Luke (Ulmus Parvifolia)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Main canopy is good now, would like to potentially shape it a little better, but currently is rough which I guess makes more sense for a wild tree.
Am working on some ramification and branching on the lower canopy, the inner branches (currently they are growing a bit, and look unkept) + there is a new sub trunk that I have just cut back once, so will work on primary branches of it (it should back bud and grow new leaves shortly)
It is what will keep me working on the tree for next few years and not get bored :)

DSC_2257 Front 2 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_2252 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

These will become a second, smaller apex canopy.
DSC_2259 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice little elm. its looking good

i originally purchased this little mallsai from Peter chans nursery believe it or not!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good to know, thanks.
I’m going to continue developing this one, as I said above. Hopefully have it look better and better. Just means keeping up with maintaining that ramification which is a pain!

The other 2 elms are doing ok too. One is good but not an interesting image. The other I’m going to redo in to a semi cascade. Should be interesting. It’s trunk lends to the style well, but not sure how I’ll keep the naturalistic feel to it. Don’t see many CE semi cascade in nature!

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its been a while! The "Luke" tree from this thread, I put in ground. Got bored.

The Ben tree is my star CE, love the little tree.
This year he actually dropped all his leaves (the last 50 might have been persuading...).
I think this is the first time I've had pics of this tree with no leaves.

DSC_3140.JPG
DSC_3139.JPG
DSC_3144.JPG
DSC_3148.JPG

And a few pics as the leaves are coming through, bright and green. This was 12 days ago, so now its pretty full up.

DSC_3181.JPG
DSC_3189.JPG

Can also see the progress on the new second apex I am making, keeping it nice and short and stubby.

Also the original chop wound, which I believe separated the rest of its "S curve" head from its body. Pretty sure this tree started as an S curve CE, the ancient land of Mallsai.
Chop sight will be completely engulfed soon... maybe 3-4 years yet though.
DSC_3193.JPG

Top Bottom