Ben from Seattle

BenBSeattle

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi My Name is Ben from the Seattle area.

I've been a big fruitnut for years I've got about 350 varieties of figs and various other fruits in my yard but more recently have gotten into Bonsai.

https://seattlegardenfruit.blogspot.com/

My father was a big bonsai guy. He has fallen ill recently and I've recently acquired on of his big Pines I'm not quite sure what varieties it is. Hopefully one you can help my ID it. So I can better care for it. It's important to me to continue on his legacy.

Attached is a picture of my family in front of the tree of life in Washington.

Nice to meet ya'll and hopefully I can meet some more Seattle folks on this forum.

Ben

Attachments

• treeoflife.jpg
    treeoflife.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 20190224_131308.jpg
    20190224_131308.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 146

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome Ben. Great family pic. Can not help with the pine ID but can bump your post to hopefully catch someone who can. Sorry to hear about your dad.

BenBSeattle

Sapling
Reaction score
thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I'll take a closer pic of the pine needles later today.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome! and sorry to hear about your dad. I'm usually pretty good with pine ID but I don't know this one. looks like a west coast native to me. maybe ponderosa or western white? Count how many "needles per fasicle" and you'll get a positive ID from someone on here in a few minutes.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Join self to home area Bonsai club for more intimate personal help and welcome to word of nutty tree folks. Personal yard must be huge for huge tree collectiono_O.

BenBSeattle

Sapling
Reaction score
I think it is pinus thunbergii, Japanese black pine.
Nice bark already!
Thank you. That's great to know. I'm very new to Bonsai but have been absorbing info like a sponge the last few months. Thanks alot to this forum and youtube of course! =)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Hey Ben, Welcome to BNut.
I checked out your blog and was very impressed. I love all manner of fruiting trees, and jokingly tell people to ''eat their bonsai''. I love the idea of using fruiting trees for bonsai. I also am working about 3 acres of blueberries in Michigan. Persimmon (diospyros virginianum) is a fruit I'm currently fascinated with, though have not got many up to fruiting size yet.

I really liked your ''Top 10 Fig Varieties'' article.

Welcome to the Forum

BenBSeattle

Sapling
Reaction score
So it looks like there's a larger tree my father has that was purchased from Dan Robinson back in the 90s. I'll have to take some photos of it. It is quite unmanicured at the moment.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Your Father has a Dan Robinson tree? That is great. Some of the trees Dan Robinson has had have been spectacular. Please start a new thread to post pictures when you do get around to taking pictures.

Thanks.

ml_work

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ben, I check your blog, really nice... you sound like a busy man... wife and 2 little ones is Full time (beautiful family) you must never sleep. Others will tell you more about your pine, with your knowledge of plants it will do well in you care.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi My Name is Ben from the Seattle area.

I've been a big fruitnut for years I've got about 350 varieties of figs and various other fruits in my yard but more recently have gotten into Bonsai.

https://seattlegardenfruit.blogspot.com/

My father was a big bonsai guy. He has fallen ill recently and I've recently acquired on of his big Pines I'm not quite sure what varieties it is. Hopefully one you can help my ID it. So I can better care for it. It's important to me to continue on his legacy.

Attached is a picture of my family in front of the tree of life in Washington.

Nice to meet ya'll and hopefully I can meet some more Seattle folks on this forum.

Ben
Hi Ben,

welcome in the forum. I am from Seattle too would be nice to meet some times

Top Bottom