Ben Oki Bonsai Scholarship

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
California Bonsai Society is proud to announce The Ben Oki Bonsai Scholarships
The California Bonsai Society (CBS) has set up a scholarship fund to honor Ben Oki - a man who devoted most of his life to enjoying and sharing bonsai. Ben was happiest when he was sharing his knowledge or working on a tree. To honor that sharing spirit Ben had we will be making five $200.00 grants available to anyone in the bonsai community to be used to attend classes, a workshop or other bonsai related educational activity. To apply, the applicant should write a short note detailing what they’d like to do with the funds - funds can be used for classes, materials to bring to a class, workshops, etc. as long as it is geared towards improving one’s bonsai skills and knowledge with an outside source. They cannot be used to just buy a piece of material to work on your own.
Applicants who receive scholarships agree that in return for these funds within 15 days of completing class etc. they will provide CBS with photos and a short write up of what they did with the funds. This will be published on our website and in our newsletter.
The application period will be from April 15th through May 30th annually with the scholarships awarded by June 15th. Applications will be accepted from anyone in the bonsai community.
The scholarship will be awarded by random drawing.
Anyone in the bonsai community can apply by sending a short note stating that they are applying for the Ben Oki Scholarship. Applications should include name, address and email of applicant as well as name of teacher, workshop leader etc. and dates of said classes or workshops or other activity to improve one’s bonsai knowledge. All applications need to be postmarked by May 30th.
Applications should be mailed via US postal service to
Ben Oki Scholarship
c/o 17230 Roscoe Blvd. Northridge CA 91325

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Is anyone, from any state eligibile? Any country?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Very cool to see things like this. Hope some who cannot afford are able to receive a great opportunity because of this.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Applications are now being accepted, I encourage everyone to apply- who couldn't find a good way to spend $200 on increasing they're bonsai knowledge.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm actually surprised by how few people are taking advantage of an opportunity to get $200 to further their bonsai skills- it takes about 2 minutes and a stamp to apply and maybe 10 minutes of writing and a few photos if you get the grant. Anyone can apply until May 30th.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Maybe try posting this on the bonsai subreddit. It actually gets a fair amount of traffic. I think some other nutters and Jeremy Norbury are the mods. Or I can post it there.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maybe try posting this on the bonsai subreddit. It actually gets a fair amount of traffic. I think some other nutters and Jeremy Norbury are the mods. Or I can post it there.
Please do, I don't want to even think about another new site- the interwebs suck up too much of my time as is. :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm actually surprised by how few people are taking advantage of an opportunity to get $200 to further their bonsai skills- it takes about 2 minutes and a stamp to apply and maybe 10 minutes of writing and a few photos if you get the grant. Anyone can apply until May 30th.
I'm not, while I was State Chairman of the Grants and Scholarship program in GSBF I had a $5000.00 budget and couldn't give the money away!!! WTH

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I'll get mine out before then! Just been busy with school and it hasn't been on my mind.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The winners of the inaugural Ben Oki Bonsai Scholarship have been chosen. I want to thank everyone that took the time to apply and to encourage everyone that did not win to apply again next year. The winners are Michael Downey of Dallas North Carolina- he wants to use his award for a class with Bjorn Bjornholm, Octavia Chin of West Covina, CA who wants to take more classes with Peter Macasieb, Michael Shelly of San Diego, CA who will use it towards classes with Ryan Neil, Sylvia Anderson of Antelope, CA who wants to use it at a workshop at this years GSBF convention, and Leslie Rinchen-Wongmo who wants to use it for monthly classes at Kimura Bonsai. Congratulations to all our winners. Remember this comes with a commitment that you will each do a short write up about what you did and take a couple of photos that we will post on our website. You will all be receiving your checks within the next couple of weeks.

Top Bottom