Bench build

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
White Oak Bench Build

Started building an outdoor bench for my trees, wanted something low so that they are easy to water.

I'm building this in white oak and utilizing interlocking joinery which should allow it to survive many years in full sun. I find it important that outdoor furniture have interlocking joinery because the wood will go through many cycles of getting wet and drying.

The planks for the top have been edge jointed, glued and face jointed, they're set for finish planing next week.

The stretcher has been jointed flat on all sides and this is where the excitement starts, the outside joints are going to be captured by a double dovetail locking through mortise, sounds complicated, looks simple and the work is somewhere between the two.

7A774BD6-F047-4CA9-A0AC-CA3ACAF5B076_zps0xmcl5fv.jpg

More to fallow as I complete it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks to be on its way to something pretty cool. Obviously you're into woodworking. I look forward to following a proper bench being built, with all due respect to any other bench threads.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks! There will be a fair bit of joinery borrowed from japanese timber framing and modified for use with furniture in this one.

The design is a modified version of a very early work by George Nakashima.

793BCB24-B077-4999-96A9-D57C067D251F_zpswclat9l9.jpg

This is the major modification, in making this 6ft long I needed to add a center support leg, and to capture the leg in the stretcher I will be using a combination of fixed and wedged supports.

56AF0072-30A2-48FA-A00D-B5F033A6749A_zpss9l39jhr.jpg

2E9E954E-44C3-4386-BE41-84A76A510471_zpsbspxnjaa.jpg

This is a process of dimensioning the lumber, I have done this for all parts involved with mainly handtools.

08350ED8-1299-4D7E-AA31-BF12A74E2EBF_zpsy3vsxvpi.jpg

Shaping the fixed support.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I hope you are not overbuilding this. I have experienced heavy weathering, checking, warping, algae growth. As long as they hold up my trees, I dont need to have cabinetmaker-grade shelving for them. It might look awesome for a while, but not too long. If you insist on the dovetailing, etc., why not teak or redwood or ipe?

bdwarner

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Might be too nice to put outside when your finished! On the contrary I do love it though and fascinating joinery. I'm a metalsmith myself and its always very nice to see some good craftsmanship flying around. Have you thought about sealants for this since it will be subject to the whims of the weather? I've made furniture before and I'm interested as to how you will finish or 'weather proof' this. I look forward to more photos.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I hope you are not overbuilding this. I have experienced heavy weathering, checking, warping, algae growth. As long as they hold up my trees, I dont need to have cabinetmaker-grade shelving for them. It might look awesome for a while, but not too long. If you insist on the dovetailing, etc., why not teak or redwood or ipe?

The joinery exists to perform its function and will do so over a period of time far greater than that of nails. There is a reason why timber frame houses can last for centuries. This is not being built to be shiny and look awesome, instead it's being built to serve a purpose.

I'm putting My efforts in upfront because I do not want to build another one of these for a very long time.

Might be too nice to put outside when your finished! On the contrary I do love it though and fascinating joinery. I'm a metalsmith myself and its always very nice to see some good craftsmanship flying around. Have you thought about sealants for this since it will be subject to the whims of the weather? I've made furniture before and I'm interested as to how you will finish or 'weather proof' this. I look forward to more photos.

Thanks! I love metalwork as well, but I've really only done fabrication work (TIG welding, ect), I do so admire those that can do wonders with sheet metal and also ornamental ironwork.

I plan to finish in waterlox marine finish, but white oak is a sturdy wood very suitable for outdoor use, so I have no worries.

Teak is a good wood, but most of the stuff available today is very quickly grown on a plantation and it is mostly underwhelming. It's easily 3x the price of white oak and the quality is inferior.

My outdoor dining table is made in Padauk, which is a nice wood for outdoors and similar to teak but the lumber available in the US is much higher quality. It turns grey just the same.

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Never heard of Waterlox...looks like a fantastic product. And beautiful joinery work SG!

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Gents!

Waterlox is basically a special made wiping varnish. It's lasted two years on my dining table, which is one year and six months longer than most outdoor finishes.

I have planned some changes in how I apply it which should increase that number.

Also, since my tropicals are indoors in the winter and my other trees in the garage, this will reside in the garage over the worst parts of the winter.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You have a skill with wood that you should be proud of. It is beautiful work, but I have to agree with Lordy.

It is going to get beat up being outside and subject to the elements and the constant watering of the trees.

No offense, but I prefer greenhouse grade plastic benches with grated tops that hold up to the sun and water from rain and watering of trees. They are also cheaper to get, quicker to assemble and easier to maintain.

Now if you were making a kitchen table, Id be all for it and I bet it would be awsome.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Great craftsmanship. I'm looking forward to more progression pictures and ultimately the final product. I love woodworking but I'm intermediate at best.

How dare you put something nice outside. :rolleyes:

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks great so far. Doing it all by hand adds to the level of craftsmanship and I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I dont want to leave the wrong impression--I think you probably have serious cabinetmaker grade skills and craftsmanship, but for the last 20 years, my benches have stood the test of time in mid-atlantic heat and humidity, 15-20F winters with snow and ice, and the pressure-treated 1x4s laying unconnected on PT 2x4 stands has worked well for me. They arent much to look at, and maybe that is the major difference, but the price was right, and the assembly time was about 3 hours for 5 different units. The movable 1x4 slats on top allow me to tailor the benches to what trees I have at the moment.
My hat is off to anyone who can do this type of woodworking, as Paradox says, but unless the material and purpose is to build show-quality benches, it may well be a wasted effort. But I repeat, I envy your skills.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Show us you bench already. Looking at your fancy work area is nice but....;)

Stiple

Sapling
Reaction score
I would think the marine grade finish would be what keeps your bench in perfect shape for years to come, along with the fine skill you are demonstrating in the construction.

If it's good enough for a few years on a boat in water, I doubt any level of watering would effect it.

I look forward to seeing the results, its going to be beautiful I'm sure.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dont want to leave the wrong impression--I think you probably have serious cabinetmaker grade skills and craftsmanship, but for the last 20 years, my benches have stood the test of time in mid-atlantic heat and humidity, 15-20F winters with snow and ice, and the pressure-treated 1x4s laying unconnected on PT 2x4 stands has worked well for me. They arent much to look at, and maybe that is the major difference, but the price was right, and the assembly time was about 3 hours for 5 different units. The movable 1x4 slats on top allow me to tailor the benches to what trees I have at the moment.
My hat is off to anyone who can do this type of woodworking, as Paradox says, but unless the material and purpose is to build show-quality benches, it may well be a wasted effort. But I repeat, I envy your skills.

I have no intention to denigrate what you have built for your purpose, because it works for you. However, I'm capable of determining what I need for my own purpose, I would ask that you respect that.

I regularly entertain guests in my garden and for that reason I prefer a bench that is more of a presentation format than something strictly functional.

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you fellas, I plan to update this thread as I go along, so I will document the steps as I take them.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Skinny, that looks similar to Amish wood joinery methods. I have seen unfinished white oak benches, tables and stools etc. in old farms that were 30 to 70 years old in use outside the whole time in a farm environment. I have seen barns over 200 years old with these methods and wood pin fastened framing standing still and in use. I admire your effort and commend your craftsmanship.

ed

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice shoulder plane. I need to get one of those... Did you make the handles on your saws? Looks like curly maple on one of them.

I like the direction this is going. Looking forward to the finished product.

Top Bottom