Bench Full of Procumbens Junipers

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A bench full of procumbens junipers, most being worked on by me for 20yrs.
🙂
IMG_4580_pe.jpg

johng

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice trees, Thomas! You've always done quality juniper work! There are not many of us left that have been around the nuthouse as long as we have.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thomas, could we get some close ups of what you think are their best features?

Reactions: GGB

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thomas, could we get some close ups of what you think are their best features?
Here's two, one not shown on the top pic but on the first pic I think would be the best feature is the pads with the mature foliage looking almost shimpaku like.
The other one would be the shape and the visible branching showing up lending itself to more of a tree look rather than ground cover which this type of juniper is mainly used for. :)
DSC03519_pe.jpg
DSC03536_pe.jpg

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
How often would you have to repot these trees, and what type of substrate is used? excellent trees!

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How often would you have to repot these trees, and what type of substrate is used? excellent trees!
Usually repotting is done about every other year but I check every year to make sure. I make my own mix of expanded shale with a nursery mix from Jemasco, and both are sifted to to the size shown in the pic at a mixture of 2 shale to 1 nursery mix. I just recently bought the shale and got a great price of $5 for a $50lb bag. After sifting I got a little more than 1/3 of the bag to use. First pic is the finished mixture. :) Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 11.32.59 AM_pe.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 11.33.22 AM_pe.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 11.34.22 AM_pe.jpg

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm jealous of the scale foliage! We never get that kind of stuff on procumbens. Thanks for sharing!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I really like procumbens. My best tree is my procumbens, and it makes it so easy, as every piece I remove comes back doubled in no time!

jindog

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey Thomas! Can you post a few closer pictures of the juniper in the front row middle pot? I have one that I am developing that looks similar to it and Im curious to see how you have structured yours.

Thanks and beautiful trees!

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Thomas! Can you post a few closer pictures of the juniper in the front row middle pot? I have one that I am developing that looks similar to it and Im curious to see how you have structured yours.

Thanks and beautiful trees!
Okay I'm assuming you meant this one as it looks to be in the middle of the three you mentioned. That pic was taken in Nov. 2022, almost 9mos. ago so here is an up to date pic I just went out a snapped. Pay no attention to the rag on the pot, in this terrible Texas heat we get every year it's a must to cover my pots so the roots don't cook since most of my trees are in full sun all day. Within the 9mos. you can see that I have made nice pads out of the foliage and continue to pinch to keep the mature foliage going good. I also changed that large pot to a little smaller one, and notice there is another juniper behind this one so as not to get confused as to what you're looking at. How about post a pic of yours so I can see where you're going with it? :cool:
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 11.34.03 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 11.41.00 AM.png

jindog

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes, Wow! that looks fantastic! Here is a pic of mine: Its a bit blurry. I did not have a helper for the white shirt background. I can get better pics later. IMG_8163.jpg

Top Bottom