Bench placement @ New House

Will.power49

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Over view - Bought my first home last winter. Coming into spring. I want to be ready with a permanent place for my bonsai trees . Last summer I had them up against the east side of my fence and they seemed to do really well there. No leaf burn on the maple. I had been keeping a very shallow water basin maybe 3/8th deep to monitor water evaporation. Only on the really hot days does it go bone dry. So I am thinking this will he my spot this year. But with better Benches.20201110_114141.jpg

Backyard layout - Back of house faces Due south . 6ft privacy fence on all sides. East side of fence has a row of trees on my neighbor's side about 25ft tall. Nothing else in my yard or surrounding yards to cast shade.

Will.power49

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Something similar to this one in the link

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I enjoy my trees a lot more since I've gotten rid of a three-tiered shelf system. The top ones are so far away as to be cumbersome to access. The lower ones aren't at a good height to see. The middle ones are scrunched between the other two.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your current set up, then, gives your trees sun in the afternoon, shade in the morning? If I had to choose I'd reverse that. Morning sun will be gentler on things like J maples. Ideally you might set up benches along both sides and tailor the sun exposure to your tree species' needs.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m in Agreement with @bwaynef Multi tiered benches can look good but for the maintenance the trees require access is key. Also, when you start cramming trees together too closely air flow between the plants becomes an issue and potential fungus problems. Here is a thread entirely dedicated to people’s setups. Have a look and see if something inspires.

You may also want to consider as @BrianBay9 suggested multiple locations for benches, or even one area with long benches and a few monkey poles strategically built around your yard for more prominent and special specimen.

congrats on the home purchase!

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
mine get an few hrs of dappled morning sun, a 2.5 hr shade session, then full sun from like 1130 am - night.

have to protect my maples better this year. like someone said, have a bench on each side can be nice for your plant's needs. im thinking of putting a patio/garden tree in line with the maple for afternoon sun or a different location altogether because she got crispy last year, and ill have 4 more of them this season to develop

nice property, enjoy!!

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As mentioned, morning and afternoon sun are best. I would be VERY wary of branches falling from the trees above your current location. Windy days, rainy days, snow loads, termites, ants, squirrels, or simply branches getting shaded and dying could cause mayhem below. Might not happen this year or next, or even the one after, but at some point something is going to come down. Maybe I'm a paranoid parent but I don't like things above my trees

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
As mentioned, morning and afternoon sun are best. I would be VERY wary of branches falling from the trees above your current location. Windy days, rainy days, snow loads, termites, ants, squirrels, or simply branches getting shaded and dying could cause mayhem below. Might not happen this year or next, or even the one after, but at some point something is going to come down. Maybe I'm a paranoid parent but I don't like things above my trees
ive been playing this game w a massive oak above my setup! great points, true story, stuff is falling down all the time from the tree. might even destroy me, dog, or GF at some point (knock on wood)

Will.power49

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Your current set up, then, gives your trees sun in the afternoon, shade in the morning? If I had to choose I'd reverse that. Morning sun will be gentler on things like J maples. Ideally you might set up benches along both sides and tailor the sun exposure to your tree species' needs.
mine get an few hrs of dappled morning sun, a 2.5 hr shade session, then full sun from like 1130 am - night.

have to protect my maples better this year. like someone said, have a bench on each side can be nice for your plant's needs. im thinking of putting a patio/garden tree in line with the maple for afternoon sun or a different location altogether because she got crispy last year, and ill have 4 more of them this season to develop

nice property, enjoy!!
this pic was taken around 10.30 or 11. Maybe later into the after from Middle of the summer here in Ohio. I had the trees up near back of the house facing due south and it was to much for the trees. with no shade from 10.30 to 9pm all summer and the horrid inconsistent weather. There currently on the East side of the and get general sun until about 1 when it comes over the trees and starts to cool into Midwest evening. IDK

Will.power49

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I have put some thought into issues with the trees. over the summer and Fall. So I shaved them put even more on my side of the fence and pulled out some of the larger branches coming off the sides. They are aspen/alder and Mayberry so they do get sticky but the branches aren't ever bigger then a finger. And I think I may not worry as much .
I’m in Agreement with @bwaynef Multi tiered benches can look good but for the maintenance the trees require access is key. Also, when you start cramming trees together too closely air flow between the plants becomes an issue and potential fungus problems. Here is a thread entirely dedicated to people’s setups. Have a look and see if something inspires.

You may also want to consider as @BrianBay9 suggested multiple locations for benches, or even one area with long benches and a few monkey poles strategically built around your yard for more prominent and special specimen.

congrats on the home purchase!

Due to landscape design and home resale in couple years having one area is going to the best route in this case. this way I can lay gravel down and make a nice area instead of spreading my self thin on several little things. If I had a larger yard I most definitely have a whole bonsai garden to enjoy my self in.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bench placement is really dependent on the species of tree you are keeping

Maples appreciate some protection from the heat of the afternoon sun
Pines and junipers want sun all day every day as much as you can give them.

You should position your benches according to thier needs as much as possible, not to whatever sense of order/aesthetic you have

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Really nice space you have to work with there, I'd love some fencing like that to keep the damned deer out. But I'm with BrianBay9 on this. I'd put them over by the fence on the right side so that you get morning sun and afternoon shade. And maybe have some alternate placement for different species with different requirements.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There are fewer trees that need shade than need full sun, for me at least. I have some very few mature trees in half day sun elsewhere, but still would like more all day sun than I have. Smaller pots with less field capacity are strategically placed on the lower decks to get more morning or more afternoon sun. My house's brick wall runs 340°/160° so the benches face 160°. Maybe you should make a list of probable candidates for your future and calculate the square footage of full sun verses partial sun.20160722_163004.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
There are fewer trees that need shade than need full sun, for me at least. I have some very few mature trees in half day sun elsewhere, but still would like more all day sun than I have. Smaller pots with less field capacity are strategically placed on the lower decks to get more morning or more afternoon sun. My house's brick wall runs 340°/160° so the benches face 160°. Maybe you should make a list of probable candidates for your future and calculate the square footage of full sun verses partial sun.View attachment 356814
another hosta grower? lower right? so many around where i am in MA

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
GTI is the wife. I have a b5.5 wagon 1.8t and 81 1.6NA Rabbit
kickass. im a fan but im loving the toyota life now haha
(im going to in inherit -bittersweet- nice 72 Bug from my dad and put on airride
down the road and hit car shows again someday)

former 24v vr6 mk4 here. indigo blue, black burberry headliner

001-4_resized.jpeg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I screwed that up, the house wall runs 20°-200°, so the benches are facing 200°. 215° would be maximum sun (equal east & west with peak (longest) mid-day exposure.

Yes @hinmo24t, I have about 200+ Hosta varieties. If that sounds like a lot, I know people who have a thousand, and they can name all of them on cue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom