Bench wood

Cody

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am looking to build a bench for my trees , I only have 3 at the moment but will have about 8 more in spring when I transplant my cuttings , I trying to get a idea of how to go about making a simple bench ? Maybe 6 feet long and 1 foot wide . What is the best type of wood to use ? Also dimensions of wood ? Don't have to big of a budget but could budget maybe 50

Anyone advice and suggestions are much welcome and appreciated:)

-Cody

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cinder blocks and culled wood (splits, defectives) that the big box stores will almost give away.
CW

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you want to spend a little more money for a "nicer" look, you can get wood that is naturally rot resistant like cedar or redwood.

Otherwise any exterior grade, treated lumber will work.

Don't use interior grade, non-treated lumber (like standard 2x4's). They will rot in a couple of years.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Don't use interior grade, non-treated lumber (like standard 2x4's). They will rot in a couple of years.
Yup i learned that the hard way. I just redid some benches, I used rough cut hemlock straight from the saw mill at 50 cents a board foot, set atop cinder blocks. Its a real 2 inches thick maybe even on the bigger side since it has not been planed yet. I used an oil based stain and weather sealer too keep moisture out. Come spring before I put my trees back up I will polyurethane the crap out of them, and suspect with regular annual treatments they should last a long time.

Top Bottom