Bend and grow

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
This is already my 3rd question on here, so I'm sorry if it breaks forum etiquette, but they're unrelated it seems.

Has anyone utilized the "bend and grow" method and can speak on long term results?

Here someone bends down the trunk of a seedling to a lower branch, and bends the branch up to make it a new leader. It is just like clip and grow, but since the leader is bent rather than cut off, it can function as a sacrifice branch.

To me it seems like a very good method, but I couldn't find any information beyond how to do it.

Does anyone have experience?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
This is already my 3rd question on here, so I'm sorry if it breaks forum etiquette, but they're unrelated it seems.

Has anyone utilized the "bend and grow" method and can speak on long term results?

Here someone bends down the trunk of a seedling to a lower branch, and bends the branch up to make it a new leader. It is just like clip and grow, but since the leader is bent rather than cut off, it can function as a sacrifice branch.

To me it seems like a very good method, but I couldn't find any information beyond how to do it.

Does anyone have experience?

This is a pretty common approach to developing seedlings for bonsai. Lots of people do it successfully. Check out these: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/twisting-shimpaku-2.25602/#post-410432

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Keep asking friend.

Poor etiquette is when folks call questions stupid.

I reckon, all of your answers can be found in the study of every tree you can see.

The intense study of a tree's past is THE BEST education you can attain.

Sorce

Joe2758

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a pretty common approach to developing seedlings for bonsai. Lots of people do it successfully. Check out these: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/twisting-shimpaku-2.25602/#post-410432
Thanks, that's cool. So these guys do the same thing but jin the sacrifice branches instead of removing?

When I wrote the post I was actually thinking about building a strong taper for upright styles. It seems like I could get a nice straight, but not TOO straight, trunk on maybe birch or sequoia.

I saw a picture a while ago, it was a straight trunk, but almost wavey? With strong taper. I wonder if this is how it was done. I wish I could find it.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I wrote the post I was actually thinking about building a strong taper for upright styles.
Starting with seedlings, taper in the trunk is usually developed by growing out for a season or two, cutting back hard, perhaps to a low branch which you wire up to become the new leader. Let that grow, cut back, repeat.

Top Bottom