Bending branch to trigger budding

Nishant

Shohin
Reaction score
Hello All,

i have this Scot pine of which I have bent branch in expectation that a new bud would form at the bend?

please can you share your thoughts and experiences on this.7D62E7A1-36FF-4FC6-B7D8-856A28A0C0D1.jpeg

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
You probably need to cut this branch off at the point of your arrow. You have needles there so you will get 3-5 new buds to work with.
That’s my take,
Charles

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
We can wait and see what happens. There's a chance that this bend may stimulate some buds as the top of the bend is now the highest point but I think it will still be hit and miss. Definitely more certain to prune at the point where new shoots are required. Usually get more than 1 shoot after pruning so if you still need the branch to continue use one for the side shoot and another one to grow a new end to replace the branch that was cut.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have heard of that working with spruce, supposedly new buds will form the following spring on the outside of a bend. I hope to see if it really does work since I put some heavy bends into branches on my P. abies this month.

Top Bottom