Beneficial nematodes

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone use these during spring and summer ? Have they worked for you or just a waste of money? I've thought of trying this in the past but I'm still unsure,I have a lot of roses that really seem to attract mites,thanks

Nobody uses predatory mites?

I used both last year for soil dwelling root aphids. I looked into pesticides but I have some food production, chickens, pets, family all in the same space as my trees. Every poison I looked into had warnings and precautions that I just wasn't happy with. It's risky because the the root aphids can really kick the shit out of the trees but I tried.

No idea how effective they were but come repotting season in spring I may gain some insight.
I bought the nematodes and then bred a couple more generations on some grubs in Petri dishes. It was pretty easy but I left the last batch too long and lost the colony.
I have a feeling that given the open nature of our substrates that the mites may be more mobile and effective.

Sucks you lost the colony but good to know it's possible to increase a colony at home

I've used them, but didn't really see a huge benefit, or proof that they were effective. However, I mainly used them on hot pepper plants that I brought into the house late in the year. Aphids LOVE peppers, so it may have been a case where the nemotoades didn't get a good enough foothold early enough to make a noticeable difference. I intend on putting a bougainvillea out this summer and intend on getting the nematodes started well before moving the plants outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom