Beni Maiko Air layer

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
Does anyone have experience air-layering a Beni Maiko JM?
Can it be done easily with this species?
Can I do it at the end of Spring or I should wait for the Summer?
I wouldn't want to lose the tree...

I would like to get the top part as a multi-trunk, so cut below the first bifurcation.
Thanks!

20171104_163632.jpg

jmw_bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not exactly sure if i have done that cultivar, but i would say it should air layer fine. I prefer to do mine in late spring after the first set of leaves have hardened off some. Check out the excellent Layering tutorial done by Bonsai Nut in the forum!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Does anyone have experience air-layering a Beni Maiko JM?
Can it be done easily with this species?
Can I do it at the end of Spring or I should wait for the Summer?
I wouldn't want to lose the tree...

I suggest that you pick a branch that won't be missed. Sometimes the cambium below the girdle will die which in turn will kill the layer. Some varieties are slow to root and may take multiple seasons to produce enough roots so that the layer can survive on its own. You will just have to try it and find out. That is why I suggest you first layer a branch that you would likely prune off and throw away otherwise. You'll be better able to plan your real aims with that experience - meanwhile your tree gets bigger and thicker, which is what you want it to do anyway.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi ajm55555,
I have no experience with this cultivar either, but as it is a red leafed one I would think it may be a little more difficult than the green AP.
My thinking, if you have any ability to do any cuttings ( mist etc) then you could try some cuttings as well ( after growth has hardened) prior to doing the air layer. Or cuttings can be taken from another part of tree.
Good luck either way and I look forward to your results, as I have been looking at trying this cultivar also.
Charles

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
I’ve got an exact duplicate of your tree (same label!) and am about to layer off ‘all’ it’s branches so we’ll have an answer at some point soonish!

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine is not doing very well this Spring. It started leafing out and then suddenly one day I noticed the shoots were wilting and drying up.
I don't know if it is because of some cold (but not freezing) nights, the soil, some disease...
I will post a picture soon.

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
It might be root dieback due to freezing or being too water-logged. It might even be verticillium wilt, look for black streaks under the bark and keep it away from other trees if you suspect this! (If it is, burn or bunbag it, especially the soil) :(

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm well aware of Verticillium Wilt. I suspected its presence in another maple in the past but that was not the case.
I lost a maple last year probably because of too much water in the soil in winter, which froze and damaged the roots.
This tree has no sign of black spots, it was budding regularly at the beginning of March on a warm spell. Then we had a few cold days but with above freezing temperatures. A couple of weeks ago the shoots started wilting and now I'm sure the tree is lost.
I will open a new thread to ask for clues. I will add the link below. Thanks for your help!

keri-wms

Shohin
Reaction score
How is your tree doing? I air layered mine in two places, one died (I don't like the look of how it died back actually......), the other rooted and I've just potted it up early and am keeping it in a very humid mini greenhouse and treating it like a cutting.

But for the record,Beni Maiko CAN be air layered and in fact rooted faster than any of the other JM types I did at the same time.

Top Bottom