Beni Maiko Japanese maple

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think it is going to live! With a little luck.
The roots did not like the pumice and ended up growing upwards into the sphagnum on top. This created a weird angle after separating. Will work toward a semi cascade. Next layer I will use straight akadama.
This cultivar is slightly different than deshojo in that it has a slight orange tinge. I'm not going to cut anything this year. I want the roots to establish well. Thanks @Osoyoung.
Today
20190409_162732.jpg
20180929_082010.jpg
September 2018

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just wanted to post a progress update and ask a follow up question.
I did an approach graft on a blank space above last year's chop. I'm liking the ease of using zip ties to secure the graft. I used two very small zip ties and a dremel with a fiber glass bit.20190602_170747.jpg

My question is should I trim this back this month or leave it alone. When I separated the layer I was told not to trim anything because the leaves/buds send auxins to drive root growth. But when can I trim this. I wanted to trim back a few pairs each. It's kind of a leggy mess. Was considering the second or 3rd week of June. Thank you for your response.

20190529_072149.jpg

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I would probably wait until fall to cut back, although you could do a light trimming to produce slightly more compact growth in the next flush. If you do that, I'd not cut the leader nor your approach graft.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On a grafted shoot, wait until the exit is fatter than the entrance. Would not prune foliage until grafted shoot is established. Might help to trim other growth, though, let the grafted shoot become the apex thru wire or prune.

Good luck with your cool project....horts in shorts my man, horts in shorts!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Th
On a grafted shoot, wait until the exit is fatter than the entrance. Would not prune foliage until grafted shoot is established. Might help to trim other growth, though, let the grafted shoot become the apex thru wire or prune.

Good luck with your cool project....horts in shorts my man, horts in shorts!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
Thanks Lance! I appreciate all the help from the good people that participate in this forum! Definitely doing more learning and less tree killing this year. :cool:. Hope you got some good tunes for today. Summer is almost here. o_O!!

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I tried leaf cutting on a few trees in development and this one responded well. The second picture is only two weeks after a light trim in which the remaining leaves were cut in half.

SmartSelect_20200529-081800_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200529-081825_Gallery.jpgSmartSelect_20200529-081657_Gallery.jpg

Tree by River

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I tried leaf cutting on a few trees in development and this one responded well. The second picture is only two weeks after a light trim in which the remaining leaves were cut in half.

View attachment 305749View attachment 305750View attachment 305754
I like the way it’s coming out, that movement in the trunk is awesome. Lots of potential you have there, I see a couple different ideas with that movement. Good luck on your journey and don’t give up.

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In February I put a thread graft going toward the back just above the scar. When I repotted the tree I changed the angle a bit so it was almost a slanting style.
20210510_115550.jpg
I may need to adjust the angle up another 10 degrees . It's definitely a work in progress. Feel free to leave a comment. I do appreciate them. I started to sketch it out but it still looks funky.

Attachments

• 20210510_110147.jpg
    20210510_110147.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 11
Top Bottom